Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overheating MacBook Pro after Big Sur instal

After instaling new macOS on my MacBook Pro it continuously heats up to 75C while doing nothing. I resterted my mac couple times with no effect, and i checked if there is no any app running in background. Is anyone got same problem after that update?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 10:54 AM

I have the same issue. MBP 16inch overheating after updating to Big Sur last night. I've restarted many times and still my Mac's fans start while it's sitting idle with nothing running in the background. This is definitely software related.

187 replies

Nov 15, 2020 5:36 AM in response to Minixtory

After every major upgrade there are processes that occur in the background such as new indexes and databases for such things as Photos or Search. These take time and the system needs to be up and running to resolve it. Try setting system NOT to log out or shut down for a day or so and you should see improvement.

Nov 16, 2020 1:06 PM in response to jean-louis256

So a quick update for my MBP 16in: After a few restarts my Mac seems to be acting as normal. The OS isn't causing the fans to spin or anything. I've been using it fully for the past couple of days, running apps, creating docs and playing music all at once and it's acting as expected. Perhaps it needed to fully index after the MacOS update? Not sure, but thankfully it's back to normal.

Nov 17, 2020 8:54 PM in response to mreed

Does Apple have any idea, exactly how long Big Sur will take to create "new indexes" before things will operate as with Catalina? I performed every recommendation to fix the "fan and overheating" issue to no avail. It has been two days since the "upgrade" and the fan still is running for applications that should never cause overheating and excessive fan operation .. I mean .. word processing? .. really? This is terribly annoying. If this is a software bug, as I suspect, when is there going to be a fix .. APPLE???

Nov 25, 2020 4:41 AM in response to laurrie164

I think so. As I wrote above, I think there are some problems with certain actions in Big Sur that makes something keep running in the background. It took me a while, but what eventually worked - and this cleared up the hot running, fan, connecting problems, battery, etc. - was:

1. open Activity Monitor (find it in “other” folder in Launchpad) and click top tab “%CPU”. You will see what is using a lot of energy.
  2. If this/these are something you can shut down, good. If not, force quit those programs.
  3. shut down computer. Anything that will not shut down or gives you a message saying the action cannot be done because something is in use, for e quit. You can force shut down the computer by holding down the fingerprint key.
  4. restart after it cools.

good luck!

Nov 16, 2020 5:51 PM in response to Gongi80

So, pretty much as I advised yesterday. This is known behavior, especially after a major upgrade, that users should be aware of prior to undertaking the installation.

We all need to do our homework so that we know what to expect. After being burned more than once on upgrades I no longer jump right in. Rather, if there are issues that I don't want to take a chance on, I'll wait for a 'dot' update.

I didn't even upgrade from OS 9 to OS X until 10.3 (Jaguar) because printing wasn't sorted until then.

Sorry for the rant but when these types of issues are reported it makes it seem as if the entire OS is no good.

The most serious issue thus far seems to be 'bricking' of early laptops and I'm really sorry for those folks but you need to approach these things cautiously.

Overheating MacBook Pro after Big Sur instal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.