Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernelmanagerd process causing high cpu usage & battery drain

I've just updated to macOS Big Sur 11.0. and I'm facing a huge battery drain and cpu usage probably caused by this "kernelmanagerd" process. Is there something I can do to stop it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 4:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 12:02 PM

I was facing the same issue after updating to macOS Big Sur. Even removing Malwarebytes and few more third party app from the applications folder + thrash was of no help. Found and article which mentioned that this KernelManagerd problem is caused by a third-party kernel extension and you may need to look further to find the incompatible software.

You can find it in: Finder > Go > Go to Folder > and type /Library/Extensions into the text field. You will see a list of files with the .kext file extension. You may ignore the following files, if you see them:

AppleMobileDevice.kext

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR.kext

SoftRAID.kext

You can find information on your other .kext files with a google search. I deleted MB_MBAM_Protection.kext, (Leftover Malwarebytes file) the moment i did my %CPU for KernelManagerd went from 70%+ to 0%..

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2020 12:02 PM in response to palazzo15

I was facing the same issue after updating to macOS Big Sur. Even removing Malwarebytes and few more third party app from the applications folder + thrash was of no help. Found and article which mentioned that this KernelManagerd problem is caused by a third-party kernel extension and you may need to look further to find the incompatible software.

You can find it in: Finder > Go > Go to Folder > and type /Library/Extensions into the text field. You will see a list of files with the .kext file extension. You may ignore the following files, if you see them:

AppleMobileDevice.kext

HighPointIOP.kext

HighPointRR.kext

SoftRAID.kext

You can find information on your other .kext files with a google search. I deleted MB_MBAM_Protection.kext, (Leftover Malwarebytes file) the moment i did my %CPU for KernelManagerd went from 70%+ to 0%..

Nov 15, 2020 11:25 AM in response to palazzo15

This post https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/i41fd7/high_fan_use_and_kernelmanagerd/ suggested that Karabiner Elements may have been the problem. The person said that the problem was solved after updating it. I updated it and uninstalled it altogether and now my kernelmanagerd is not even showing up in my activity monitor with it sorted by highest CPU usage. It used to be non-stop at over 70%.

Now my fans are running very quiet.

Dec 10, 2020 3:45 PM in response to mert164

Contact Apple ask for a senior advisor.

I was having all of these issues we uninstall all of this malware in cyber ghost and all this stuff and it was still having issues and we went in to select operating programs and we trashed some folders in three or four different applications then tested it and it worked perfect and then we went one by one and reinstalled malware bites and other programs include including bit defender and there is literally no issues with operating programs eating up valuable operating space.

Jan 15, 2021 7:55 AM in response to palazzo15

One suggested solution was to uninstall Malwarebytes, which I did not have installed in the first place. On the contrary I could resolve the problem by installing and running Malwarebytes scan once. Although the scan did not find anything the process 'kernelmanagerd' went back to the usual 1% CPU usage right when the scan completed. Have uninstalled Malwarebytes, but the problem remains solved for me.

Jan 18, 2021 9:36 AM in response to palazzo15

I was experiencing the fan/CPU issue and saw a few responses mentioning Malwarebytes. A few years ago, an Apple tech installed a trial of Malwarebytes on my machine to clean up some issues, and I uninstalled it along the way. But - after installing Big Sur, I had the fan/CPU issue and started looking around for the Malwarebytes program. In all the basic searches I couldn't find it, not in Applications, not in any normal search I tried. My tech support SigOt ran a bunch of terminal prompts that uncovered a number of files in this folder path: /System/Volumes/Data/Library/Application Support/Malwarebytes. I had to go in using this path to delete the remaining Malwarebytes files, but it has resolved the fan/CPU issue!

kernelmanagerd process causing high cpu usage & battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.