Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: kernelmanagerd process causing high cpu usage & battery drain

I've just updated to macOS Big Sur 11.0. and I'm facing a huge battery drain and cpu usage probably caused by this "kernelmanagerd" process. Is there something I can do to stop it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 4:13 AM

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 18, 2020 11:28 PM in response to palazzo15 In response to palazzo15

For me, it seemed to be an old version of Karabiner Elements. I updated it to the latest version so I could open the app's preferences (as I couldn't open the old version on Big Sur), then uninstalled it. Kernelmanagerd dropped from about 50% to 0%.

Nov 18, 2020 11:28 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Nov 14, 2020 2:03 PM in response to palazzo15 In response to palazzo15

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

Nov 14, 2020 2:03 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 15, 2020 11:25 AM in response to palazzo15 In response to palazzo15

This post https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/i41fd7/high_fan_use_and_kernelmanagerd/ suggested that Karabiner Elements may have been the problem. The person said that the problem was solved after updating it. I updated it and uninstalled it altogether and now my kernelmanagerd is not even showing up in my activity monitor with it sorted by highest CPU usage. It used to be non-stop at over 70%.

Now my fans are running very quiet.

Nov 15, 2020 11:25 AM

Reply Helpful (4)

Nov 18, 2020 11:17 AM in response to Danny9512 In response to Danny9512

This kernelmanaged the thing is eating up all of my battery and most definitely locking up the operating of the computer. So how do I remedy this issue it runs constantly in the fan runs high because the computer is getting very hot and it’s not good on my brand new computer!

Nov 18, 2020 11:17 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Helpful

Nov 18, 2020 11:28 PM in response to palazzo15 In response to palazzo15

For me, it seemed to be an old version of Karabiner Elements. I updated it to the latest version so I could open the app's preferences (as I couldn't open the old version on Big Sur), then uninstalled it. Kernelmanagerd dropped from about 50% to 0%.

Nov 18, 2020 11:28 PM

Reply Helpful (5)
User profile for user: palazzo15

Question: kernelmanagerd process causing high cpu usage & battery drain