Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Mail Attachment Paperclip Icon Missing

Big Sur has lost the paperclip icon for mail attachments in mail column view. It is Gmail Internet IMAP mail accounts. The mail client has lost the attachment data and will not find mail with attachments when I filter the mail by attachments in the view menu.

This is a Big Sur issue on two machines I have after upgrades from Catalina that showed the icon. The mail has gone through multiple OS upgraded without the issue and works fine on ipad and iphones with iOS14.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 7:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 8:34 PM

I just discovered if you bring up the contextual menu, there you can select what column headings you wish to appear. You have to have your mouse pointer in the column header area in order for the contextual menu to appearl

48 replies

Nov 29, 2020 10:04 AM in response to MikeM9

I landed here because I had the same problem, or that's what I thought. When I saw the comment about the flag icon also missing, I selected a message and toggled a flag on and off. I first I completely missed it, but the flag icon WAS there, only in a different spot--under the date--and nearly invisible in dark mode. I then looked at the same spot in other messages in the column, and saw the paperclip icons but so small and faint that I had missed them before that. Not sure why the flag and paperclip icons were moved and shrunk and dimmed, but they are there (iMac, Big Sur, dark mode, Mail 14.0, default view).

Jan 4, 2021 11:36 AM in response to MikeM9

I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (latest version) and I cannot get the attachment icon to appear. When I right click the columns heading, the only option available is to sort by a different factor such as date, attachment, To, From, etc. But I cannot find a way to include a column showing the attachment icon.

Jan 4, 2021 11:42 AM in response to dasams

Well, what do you know. As I look through several of my emails, I am having ta similar issue and hadn't noticed. Some are showing up in the paper clip column as attachments and from what I can tell, they are not appearing if the sender is using Windows. I have one client who is a Mac user and his attachments appear in the paperclip column. Others—who I know are using Windows—are not showing up.

Have you tried sending an email with an attachment to yourself to see if that shows up? I could be wrong on my theory . . .

Jan 28, 2021 6:58 AM in response to MikeM9

I was searching because I noticed the same problem. I'm on Big Sur and all my accounts are POP. I recently migrated from Outlook for Mac and was trying to replicate the look by using columns views. I do have the column headings and added the attachment column but they show empty for all my emails even the ones with attachments.

Feb 17, 2021 4:30 PM in response to gheumann

I have the same problem, and adding the attachments column in context layout does not help. I also have a pop account. The system doesn't seem to recognize the existence of attachments--with one exception: if I send an attachment, the paperclip icon shows up on my sent message. This is not the case for any messages I've received with attachments. Something isn't "reading" their existence. When I reported the problem, apple support suggested making a dummy user and reloading email there to see if it was any different (it's not). The second suggestion was to boot in safe mode and see if I could see the paperclip there; I haven't tried that yet. It sounds to me like an iOS issue (I have Big Sur 11.2) and there should be a fix for it.

Feb 17, 2021 4:35 PM in response to 1PRW

I tried the Safe Boot thing. Did not help. (I note if I click on the paperclip icon at the top of the column, it sorts the inbox by messages with and without attachments - and there are A FEW where paper clips DO show up. But very few compared to the number of messages with attachments and no paperclip.)

Safe Mode didn't help with the performance problem either. What performance problem, you ask?

I can hit the down arrow 10 times in 1.5 seconds. Under Catalina, Mail just kept up. Now, it takes 5 seconds until the 10th message is selected.

When I retrieve mail - It only seems to be able to download max 2 messages per second. Under Catalina it retrieved mail MUCH faster.

Big Sur Mail Attachment Paperclip Icon Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.