Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to AppleTV after Big Sur update

I just update to Big Sur and Airplay to Apple TV is no longer working. Get message that I cannot connect to AppleTV. I have tried all of the troubleshooting advice including same WiFi network, Firewall settings, rebooting routers, modem, appleTV. Any suggestions.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 6:24 AM

72 replies

Nov 23, 2020 2:33 PM in response to ketof

Same problem here, Big Sur sometimes briefly shows my library, but it then stops working. This is only since Big Sur and the last TVOS update. I have seen a reference to make sure they are either both on wifi and ethernet, but that is bogus.

May be time to switch out my apple equipment as they continue to break everything except for the items you have to purchase, only those appear in my Apple TV, or Computer apps on the apple tv.

Nov 28, 2020 3:59 AM in response to ketof

I have been 'fighting' this same problem for a while but finally got it working! Go to 'Sharing' in your System preferences. Select Media Sharing. I changed the name of the Library to the name that the AppleTV was looking for and clicked the Home Sharing button. I was then prompted for my Apple ID and password. Once that was done, the AppleTV connected. Hope that helps!

TimA

Nov 29, 2020 4:49 AM in response to Ashlen Sarah - Anne Logan

A couple of suggestions - verify that both the AppleTV and Computer are on the same network. Verify that when in the System pref's Sharing tab, the 'Media Sharing section is checked AND on the right section of that same page, 'Home Sharing is checked AND the Library name is your Apple ID that the Apple TV is looking for.

You might also DeAuthorize and then ReAuthorize your computer.

I still have a couple of issues - my AppleTV is only showing me my Home Videos, not TV Shows, Movies or Music. Good thing most everything I watch gets put in Home Videos.

Nov 29, 2020 1:18 PM in response to Cata1994

Thanks for all your help. I have been able to fix the problem by turning off Vulnerability Protection in Norton Internet Security. Connection blocking is on so that doesn’t matter for me. I can toggle Vulnerability Protection on and the problem returns. Once I turn it off, mirroring works. I didn’t need to restart the AppleTV.

I am wondering if anyone knows how to exclude the AppleTV from Vulnerability blocking. I have tried using the settings in the Exclusions tab but can’t find a setting that doesn’t block mirroring to AppleTV.

Dec 1, 2020 6:54 AM in response to Ashlen Sarah - Anne Logan

Hi

Have been pulling my hair out with this problem. Before the Big Sur update I was able to use Airplay to share the screen through AppleTV to my LG TV. Since the update it just wouldn't connect no matter what I did. However, finally sorted it (For me at least and maybe for everyone else) I have Norton 360 antivirus on my MacBook, and when I turned on the Venerability Protection tab, Hey presto, screen sharing starts working. Obviously you don't want to turn off your protection, so if you have360, go into the settings, and under Firewall, go to Application blocking, to the right of that is a tools symbol, open that and add application, I add AirplayUIAgent, and Mirror displays. Then open Connection blocker, add AirplayXPCHelper.

That's it, once laptop restarted Screen mirroring works fine. Thats what I did for Nortons, I guess its similar with other Firewalls/Antivirus softwares. Good luck!!

Dec 1, 2020 6:56 AM in response to ketof

Hi, have finally worked out what to with Norton's without turning off anything.

Go into the settings, and under Firewall, go to Application blocking, to the right of that is a tools symbol, open that and add application, I add AirplayUIAgent, and Mirror displays. Then open Connection blocker, add AirplayXPCHelper.

That's it, once laptop restarted Screen mirroring works fine.

Dec 4, 2020 6:35 AM in response to ketof

I am not able to airplay my Mac to my Apple TV. I dug into the Norton Firewall and turned off "Vulnerability Protection" and the problem went away. I kept the other Firewall functions active. "The Vulnerability Protection" has a function to manually enter an IP address as an exception from blocking. Tried entering the IP of my Apple TV box--problem was still there. I'll keep this function shut off until Norton comes up with a fix. Appears to be a Norton issue.

Dec 9, 2020 2:07 PM in response to ketof

I posted yesterday that the issue is in Norton 360 Settings > Vulnerability. Turn it off in Settings and you can connect, but you're unprotected. I spent an hour with a Norton tech and the best they could come up with was reinstall Norton 360 to clear all extensions. It didn't work and cost me two hours of setup. I'll try Norton again, but I'm losing patience. I'll try Apple. Maybe they can recommend a different security system that's compatible with Mac and Apple TV. Aren't they supposed to work this stuff out before they go to market? I guess no one noticed this issue in the Beta versions.

Dec 10, 2020 12:12 AM in response to bfamos

Had the same issues with you, have had same conversations with Apple and Norton, Apple say everything is set up ready for screen share, Norton don’t seem to have a clue, I said to the advisor, you must have heard of this problem before, apparently not. As an experiment I uninstalled Norton, install the free version of AVG, works fine.

Cannot connect to AppleTV after Big Sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.