Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringer is very low IPhone 12 pro max

Is there any issue with sound in ringer volume? Me n my husband got new phone. My phone is loud for calls as expected but my husband phone sound is very low. Verified all the settings looks good. Looks like issue in device, any advice would be appreciated..!!

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 10:32 PM

Found out what the problem was.

Go to settings, then Accessibility.

select Face ID & Attention.

in the middle you’ll see “Attention Aware Features”. Turn this off.

if you read it you’ll see it lowers the volume for some alerts. I tried 2 alarms and had a friend call me twice and it’s normal again. Can’t imagine why Apple added this feature! But my phone is normal for now. Hope this helps.

75 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2020 10:32 PM in response to prathima68

if you read it you’ll see it lowers the volume for some alerts. I tried 2 alarms and had a friend call me twice and it’s normal again. Can’t imagine why Apple added this feature! But my phone is normal for now. Hope this helps.

Apr 11, 2021 10:45 PM in response to prathima68

Hi even I was having same issues. Got answer from this discussion only. It required two settings to do.

1. Go to Face ID and attention then go to attention aware feature and turn it off.
  2. Go to settings >> sound and heptics >> ringer and alert . Here increase the volume upto your requirements level and then important is to make off the change with buttons. The reason to off this is sometime you feel ring sound is more and reduce from the volume switch and the volume will be at same level. Next time if you are in a sound place then you can’t hear the ring.
  3. If in sound and heptic the volume set in low and you increase your ring volume from volume button it will show full volume but next call will be same low ring sound if the change with buttons if in Off.
  4. There is no facility for ascending ring volume settings.

Jan 18, 2021 9:52 PM in response to prathima68

I had this problem during setup of a new iphone 12 pro max where the ringtone volume was v low despite the volume being turned all the way up on Sound and Haptics and despite Vibrate on Ring being activated- the phone did not vibrate and the ring tone volume was slight and descending. Even after an hour of sound testing and tech support with AppleCare, (tests on left and right speaker volume levels) and the Apple tech believe this ringtone volume issue to be a hardware issue and intimated that a new replacement iphone might be needed. I decided to quickly google and Brooklynrican's answer saved the day - was spot on correct:

"Go to settings, then Accessibility.

THANK YOU Brooklynrican. I think the problem may have originated during the SET UP of FACE ID step which we did not establish properly and so ended up skipping - perhaps this somehow turned on the Attention Aware feature which resulted in descending and low ringtone and no vibration. Hopefully Apple will put in a fix for this with the next update as it was perplexing even for their tech folks to figure out.

Apr 9, 2021 7:17 AM in response to NYCrocks

I am at a loss . . . have read all the suggestions on the iPhone 12 ringer and nothing works. I have called Apple and they went through settings and suggested going to Best Buy to check out the phone. All is fine. But it is not. At times it does not ring at all, the same with text. I just happen to look at the phone screen and see the missed calls or texts. I wish I had never upgraded to the 12 as it has been a nightmare and none of the updates have done a thing for the ringer. Any suggestions, please let me know.

Jun 9, 2021 8:06 PM in response to TomDailey

Hi even I was having same issues. Got answer from this discussion only. It required two settings to do.

1. Go to Face ID and attention then go to attention aware feature and turn it off.
  2. Go to settings >> sound and heptics >> ringer and alert . Here increase the volume upto your requirements level and then important is to make off the change with buttons. The reason to off this is sometime you feel ring sound is more and reduce from the volume switch and the volume will be at same level. Next time if you are in a sound place then you can’t hear the ring.
  3. If in sound and heptic the volume set in low and you increase your ring volume from volume button it will show full volume but next call will be same low ring sound if the change with buttons if in Off.
  4. There is no facility for ascending ring volume settings.

Nov 17, 2020 6:07 PM in response to prathima68

I've been back and forth with Apple and AT&T and neither of them can figure it out. Trying to exchange the phone and neither will do it. AT&T says cause they don't have any phones in the store Apple should do it via the warranty. Apple says since you didn't buy it with us AT&T should replace it. This has been going on for 4 days now. No one can figure out why the volume is starting out high and then dipping real low. One AT&T agent said she was told that Apple added this feature. That if your phone is still, or you're not holding it the phone rings normally but if your holding it when it rings or an alarm goes off then it starts off loud or normal and then gets low. If this is true I hope the Apple engineer who thought this was a good idea gets punched right in the face!

Jan 29, 2021 2:58 PM in response to dori72

Everything was already off in <Face ID & Attention>, I believe my phone have glitches. I had to perform a soft <Reset> for some things to come back to normal. However, since the soft <Reset>, I performed the IOS update that was scheduled, and soon after the reboot it happened again.

I also discovered that I was not able to turn my phone off until muting the ringer on the (L) and the sound. Once turned back on, I always have to remember unmuting and turning the ringer back up. learned this from YouTube.

Jun 10, 2021 7:32 AM in response to PurrfectPatty

I give up . . . have done all that I can to get my ringer to stay loud and it will for a few calls and then lose the volume. I am so sorry that I had upgraded to the iPhone 12 . . . I have missed so many calls and text . . I had called Apple several times then they recommended going to Best Buy for them to run a computer check on the phone which I did; nothing wrong with phone supposively but it sure falls short of the usual reliable products of Apple.

Jun 21, 2021 10:09 AM in response to prathima68

Jun 21, 2021 10:10 AM in response to sakura_amour

Ringer is very low IPhone 12 pro max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.