Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app hangs when synchronizing with iCloud

The Photos app on my Mac stopped synchronizing with ICloud a few weeks ago. That was still on Catalina. I have now upgraded to Big Sur, but no change with the Photos problem.

I tried a couple of things already, like disabling and re-enabling Notes syncing, restarting the Mac, logging out of iCLoud alltogether, and then logging in again. No avail. The syncing hangs at "Uploading 6,954 Items". Internet connectivity is fast.

This problem seems to show up in support forums in multiple variations, but I haven't seen a any systematic checklist or process to reset Photos and the sync process. Apple Support didn't help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 9:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 10:06 AM

Hello tom-62,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your post, it appears there are issues with Photos completing an upload to iCloud. We'll Do what we can to help.

If you have another Apple device, try taking a new photo and see if it uploads to iCloud: Set up and use iCloud Photos

Check to see if the upload makes any progress in safe mode. You might have to turn on the network manually once in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Best regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 10:06 AM in response to tom-62

Hello tom-62,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. From your post, it appears there are issues with Photos completing an upload to iCloud. We'll Do what we can to help.

If you have another Apple device, try taking a new photo and see if it uploads to iCloud: Set up and use iCloud Photos

Check to see if the upload makes any progress in safe mode. You might have to turn on the network manually once in safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Best regards.

Photos app hangs when synchronizing with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.