Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an Airport Express 1st Gen and I am not able to connect my iPad Pro 2nd gen..

Hello, I have an Airport Express 1st Generation that I am using as a WiFi router and I would like to connect my iPad Pro 2nd Generation to it. I am using the Airport Express as a router as I am working from home in a tiny home on our property. The iPad can detect the WiFi that I have set up with the Airport Express, but it states that it is not connected to the internet. My work laptop is connected and works just fine, but my iPad Pro does not connect.

Any thoughts on how to connect the iPad Pro to this wireless network? Thanks in advance.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 11:48 AM

9 replies

Nov 15, 2020 12:23 PM in response to johnyb76

We need to ask some questions to get some more information about things before we can begin the troubleshooting process.

1. Are the work laptop and the iPad Pro the only devices that will connect to the AirPort Express wireless network? If not, how many other devices will be connecting to the WiFi produced by the 1st Gen AirPort Express?
  2. What is the make and model number of your modem?
  3. Is the work laptop also a Mac product, or is it a PC?
  4. If the work laptop is a PC, do you have AirPort Utility for Windows installed on the device?
  5. Do you have AirPort Utility for iOS installed on the iPad Pro from a previous download?

Depending on your answers, there will likely be more questions, so you'll need to be patient with the process. Unfortunately, things that seem like they should have a simple solution often do not.

Nov 15, 2020 1:05 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your reply! I greatly appreciate it.

1. The only other device that will be on that WiFi will be my iPhone 11 Pro.
  2. Aris DG860
  3. The work laptop is a PC
  4. I do not have Airport Utility installed on the work computer, as I am not allowed to/do not have access to put anything on that computer.
  5. No, I do not have Airport Utility on my iPad Pro.

I will be patient and again, appreciate your assistance.

Nov 15, 2020 7:30 PM in response to johnyb76

The AirPort Express will need to be reset so that it can be set up again with the correct settings

Make sure that the AirPort Express is powered on

Hold in the reset button on the Express for 7-8 seconds and then release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow blinking amber light status

On the iPad Home Screen.....

Tap on Settings

Tap on WiFi

Look for a listing of Set Up New AirPort Base Station

Tap on AirPort Express just below that listing

When you tap on AirPort Express xxxxxx, that will start up AirPort Utility automatically

Allow a few seconds for the utility to analyze the network, then display a screen that indicates that the AirPort Express will be set up to "Create a wireless network"

Assign a device name for the Express. You can use the same device name that you used before

Assign a wireless network name, You can use the same name that you used before

Set up a wireless password and confirm. You can use the same wireless password that you used before

Follow the prompts

When the AirPort Express restarts, you should be able to connect both of your WiFi devices and have Internet access on both of them

Nov 15, 2020 1:52 PM in response to johnyb76

Thanks for the information.

If the AirPort Express is not configured correctly with the type of modem that you have, it will only allow one device to connect to the Internet, not two or more. Normally, up to 10 WiFi devices can connect the Express if it is set up correctly.

I suspect that it's not. We need to check the Router Mode settings on the AirPort Express, but you will need to have AirPort Utility installed on the iPad before you can do this.

I do not think that you will be able to install AirPort Utility for a PC on your laptop because it was designed to run on Windows 7. Apple never updated AirPort Utility for the PC after that time.

Unfortunately, kind of a Catch 22. You need to have the iPad connected to the Internet to download AirPort Utility, but the iPad cannot connect to the Internet.

Shut down the laptop and leave it off

Power off the modem completely by disconnecting the power cable from the back of the device or disconnecting the power adapter from the wall AC jack

Power off the AirPort Express by pulling it from the power socket

Power off the iPad

Wait a minute

Power up the modem only and let it run for at least a full minute

Power up the AirPort Express and let it run for a full minute

Power up the iPad, but leave the laptop powered off for now

Check to see if the iPad can connect to the Internet now

If it can, go to the App Store and search for AirPort Utility and download it. It's free

Report back on your progress

Nov 15, 2020 3:53 PM in response to johnyb76

When you had the iPad connected to the Internet, did you download and install Airport Utility for the iPad, as I requested above?

We won't be able to make any more progress until you have AirPort Utility installed on the iPad.....because the AirPort Express is not configured correctly to allow multiple devices to connect to the Internet simultaneously.

As it stands now, it will only allow one device to connect to the Internet......either the laptop......or.....the iPad.

I have an Airport Express 1st Gen and I am not able to connect my iPad Pro 2nd gen..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.