Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mail flags not working - Big Sur

Since the Big Sur upgrade I can't flag emails. I use this facility a lot, so this is a real problem. Has anyone found a workaround?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 1:42 PM

102 replies

Dec 14, 2020 11:36 AM in response to Ola_M

I found these crazy steps that fixed the problem for me.

Nov 23, 2020 5:17 PM in response to joeydee2017

Joey, see if this works.

It was suggested to me today on MacRumors, and, although I don't quite know what it's doing, seems to have fixed my (similar to yours) problem:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/big-sur-mail-search-is-completely-broken-doesnt-find-anything.2269995/

--------------

1. Save your work and close all of your apps

2. Close Mail app

3. Hold the Shift key and open the Mail app

4. Close the Mail app (don't search or perform any other actions)

5. Hold the Shift key and open the Mail app (repeat of Step 3)

6. Close the Mail app (repeat of Step 4)

7. Restart your Mac

8. Open Mail app like you normally would

9. Try searching your mail

Let us know if this works

Dec 4, 2020 11:54 AM in response to somuchtrouble

It may depend on whether you're in column layout or not. If you use the view where your main window is the inbox and new messages open in a separate window, then you can find the title bar (From..Subject...etc.). That's where you Control-click and the choices pop up. This is how that view looks, and it's what I use:

But if you have the layout where your messages open in a window next to your inbox/preview column, I don't know how you access the pop-up box. This is how that view looks:

Hope this helps to some extent!

Dec 7, 2020 12:53 AM in response to justinec16

This looks quite different on my Mac, but is not really the issue.

The set of smart mailboxes in the left column showing flagged email grouped by flag tyep does not work. In each flag grou uí see the number of flagged messages, but when i ckick the mail box it shows nothing, and soúddent´ky the number in the mailbox is shown as 0. If i close the list and reopen it the numbers are aguian ciórrect but the messages are not shown.

I have syncronized the emails and rebuilt the mailboxes, closed and reopened Mail, but to no help.

If i am in the inbox and click the falkged emails favourite nothing happens except the number of emails with that type of flag goes to 0. And frequently that whole mailbox disappears from the menu, however it at some later time suddenly reappears.

I also find many times the search functions completely fails, nothing happens although the searched for iten definitely is present.

Ola, Mac user since 92. mailbox

Mac mail flags not working - Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.