Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No HP Drivers for Big Sur.

My printer has been rendered useless. Previously, I'd get the message "hpdm.framework will damage your computer". HP told me to uninstall the old drivers using their uninstall app, which I did. Now, I have to download a driver compatible with the latest macOS, which I could not find. Are there any printer drivers released from HP or from Apple???

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 4:58 PM

This procedure worked for my HP Photosmart C4280 printer with the same problem: Delete the HP folder in ~Library/Printers then remove the printer from System Preferences.

Download the drivers from Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_GB&locale=en_GB

Reinstall software and add printer in System Preferences. I’m running Big Sur 11.0.1. Now I can scan and print again like before. Good luck!

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 4:58 PM in response to isaiaholivaa

This procedure worked for my HP Photosmart C4280 printer with the same problem: Delete the HP folder in ~Library/Printers then remove the printer from System Preferences.

Download the drivers from Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_GB&locale=en_GB

Reinstall software and add printer in System Preferences. I’m running Big Sur 11.0.1. Now I can scan and print again like before. Good luck!

Nov 16, 2020 5:50 AM in response to isaiaholivaa

Please determine the model designation of the HP device you are you using. You need the complete, exact model designation including all its letters numbers prefixes and suffixes. Then, take the appropriate action below.

• If it is an AirPrint-enabled device no manufacturer-provided software or drivers are necessary, and the affected files can simply be deleted. See below.
  • If it is not an AirPrint-enabled device you will need to wait until HP fixes the problems they caused by revoking the security certificates for their software. Check Software Update: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support. If HP has not fixed it by now, check Software Update some other time. Repeat tomorrow, next week, or as often as necessary until you eventually decide to give up on HP and buy a printer / scanner / MFD from a company that actually knows what they're doing.

Otherwise please contact HP or peruse their community help site, which recently become overwhelmed with reports substantially identical to yours: HP Printer Setup, Software & Drivers.

Apple recommends that you do not install any software that came with the device or from the manufacturer's website. If you did, remove that software, and then add the printer to Printers & Scanners again as AirPrint-enabled device. The existing device entry can and should then be removed.

As of this writing there are well over 6000 AirPrint-enabled printers and multifunction devices. Over 1000 of them are HP devices. I don't recommend any of them.

Dec 20, 2020 4:06 AM in response to Prousa

I am using it, although I do not own a HP device myself. But several of my customers do and they work just fine after following the above mentioned steps. Revoking their own certificate is entirely HP’s fault. Experiences like this add up to several other HP annoyances over the years though, which is why I usually recommend Brother printers instead.

For older printers there’s also the possibility to use the Gutenprint drivers instead.

Feb 16, 2021 9:57 AM in response to pBlot

In System Preferences the option to scan is not present as it as prior to Big Sur.

Try opening Image Capture and see if you can scan from there. The scan button in Printers & Scanners before implies it is ICA compatible, but perhaps their software added the scan button. Or, their scan software provided a bridge to ICA. If the latter was the case, then Image Capture probably won’t work until you install HP Easy Print and Scan software.

Scan images in Image Capture on Mac - Apple Support

Dec 19, 2020 3:23 AM in response to isaiaholivaa

What is on my mind right now can't not share with the public. My wife just bought me a 2020 27” iMac for Christmas just couple days ago. The Big Sur came the minute I turn the iMac on, then, **** happened, my HP printer is not working?!?!?!? Since HP’s installed base is quite large that Apple should not have release the OS before the compatibility issues are fully prepared properly for the release!!!

Dec 20, 2020 4:21 AM in response to Prousa

Depends on your use case and wallet. I can impossibly select a single model for you. I am not from the US so best go to https://www.brother-usa.com/home/printers-fax and select one you like. I only know their laser printers (HL) and all in one (MFC/CDW) devices and they are good. But you do not need a new printer. Just follow the directions above and your HP will work in Big Sur. A Downgrade to Catalina involves deleting the Mac completely and restoring to the last Catalina-equipped TM backup.

Dec 26, 2020 2:19 PM in response to isaiaholivaa

I don't know if this is the case for all printers by hp, but, I needed to reinstall my HP M451DW colour laser jet.

It only offered me the Catalina driver (Im on Big Sur), it did have an option of changing the os. When clicking on it it showed various os's but at the top it had OS 11, I downloaded the driver it listed and now the printer is up and running 100%.

HTH

Jim

No HP Drivers for Big Sur.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.