Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google meet audio issue

Whenever I join a Google meet through Safari, there’s an audio issue where there a crackling noise and I can’t make out what is being said. It works fine on chrome but I prefer Safari and this issue has only started when I updated to MacOS Big Sur. Currently to fix this issue, I have join and rejoin multiple times and try and plug and unplug my earphones.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 2:47 AM

44 replies

Dec 7, 2020 7:56 PM in response to IfrahC

What worked for me is to install Safari Technology Preview.

https://developer.apple.com/safari/download/

Install the second one, it's for free. It solved the crackles. However as it is a separate browser, you will need to re-log in to everything. (I didn't want to use Chrome as it is slow.)

I think they will later solve it in the main Safari also.

Nov 26, 2020 10:08 AM in response to IfrahC

Yeah that happens to me too. When I first join the meeting, other people's audio sounds robotic. A workaround that I found was to pause and resume the tab from accessing audio mic/camera using either of the microphones (screenshot below).

Keep in mind, this doesn't always work for me so you'll have to play around a little... but come on Google and Apple I really expected better.

Hope it helps!

Dec 1, 2020 4:05 PM in response to IfrahC

The same issue I am having. Was on the phone with Apple support and of course we play a YouTube video and sound plays, so it must be me not the computer. It is frustrating, especially when I paid over $4,000 and have to call in for conference calls. I am going to try calling in in on Chrome, at least I have something to try. This is the kind of thing I would expect with a cheap computer - got an expensive computer and Apple support and still can't fix it- uhhhh!

Dec 21, 2020 9:58 AM in response to IfrahC

Which update? 11.1? After installing that update it went from bad to worse. Now Google Meet doesn't work at all with Safari or Chrome. I can join the meeting but I get no incoming/outgoing audio or video now. I had to install Firefox as that's the only browser of the three that works now.

There's a big thread about it on the Google Meet Help Community forum. https://support.google.com/meet/thread/88764205?hl=en

Jan 16, 2021 3:14 AM in response to IfrahC

I just bought the new MacBook with the m1 chip and since than whenever I try to open meet from safari there is a weird cracking noise . I thought this problem was just on my computer which apparently is not the case. I have classes to attend so please fix this problem. Using google Chrome is much harder for me than using safari because it takes more time.

Google meet audio issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.