Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my screen flickering with this new macOS big sur update? I have a 2020 macbook air

How do I fix the problem where my screen glitches and flickers? I just downloaded the new macOS Big Sur update and my laptop has bee glitching since then.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2021 6:22 PM

Found this on another thread with the same problem. Fixed up just right on my iMAC!

Hello Roro9,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that since updating your MacBook to Big Sur your screen keeps flickering when watching Netflix. We're happy to help!

Let's try an SMC reset. 

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

You may also want to try an NVRAM reset. 

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

We also recommend starting in safe mode. Sometimes just starting in this mode and then restarting normally can resolve issues like this: 

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2021 6:22 PM in response to Jehki04

Found this on another thread with the same problem. Fixed up just right on my iMAC!

Hello Roro9,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that since updating your MacBook to Big Sur your screen keeps flickering when watching Netflix. We're happy to help!

Let's try an SMC reset. 

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

You may also want to try an NVRAM reset. 

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

We also recommend starting in safe mode. Sometimes just starting in this mode and then restarting normally can resolve issues like this: 

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know if that worked for you.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Jan 5, 2021 8:37 AM in response to Jehki04

Same here. I have an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) and had zero problems running Catalina. After upgrading to Big Sur my screen will go blocky and flicker and sometimes just freeze and reboot itself. When it comes back there is a kernel panic report. This will happen multiple times a day. I've tried upgrading to Big Sur 11.1 and still the same problems. I did a Time Machine back to Catalina 10.15.7 which was what I was running before Big Sur and now I am experiencing the same problems with Catalina. At this point I'm wondering if there was some kind of firmware update to the hardware that happened during the Big Sur upgrade and that is why the problem has followed me back to Catalina?!? This is very frustrating and hope Apple fixes this soon.

Jan 19, 2021 11:54 PM in response to end_the_noise

Flickering is very bad. Unplugging the external monitor for a few seconds, SMS reset work temporarily. Flickering could return back pretty randomly at a very inopportune time. Apple need to fix this quickly. This is happening ever since I have upgraded to BigSur. I see this issue has been there for some time. Its not worthy of Apple to take this long to fix it. Not sure what's the underlying issue and why it is showing up with BigSur.

Apr 5, 2021 8:40 AM in response to Jehki04

Fixed the logic board?? really? The internet is swamped with iMac, iMacPro, MacBook Pro, MacBook, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro problems with screen flickering. I too have the problem, which seems to be random....sometimes, I restart and it goes away temporarily. Sometime, I quit Safari, and it again goes away temporarily. Sometime I don't have the problem at all! Come on, Apple techs, let's figure this one out! You guys are supposed to be the cream of the crop, right? I expect better than average support on what seems to be a widespread issue. Why should we pay for extra support when the problem doesn't seem to be "going away"? This, to me, feels like a software issue, I.e., a bug. Where's the patch? Please escalate this to a higher level in order to get brains moving faster! For your best customers?? My family owns more than 30 Apple devices (a low estimate) because we love your products. This flickering issue need rectification, and it needs it NOW!

Loyal and frustrated,

Frank Swiatek

Columbus, Ohio

Apr 17, 2021 7:59 PM in response to Jehki04

I have faced the same issue with my mac book pro in late 2017, I have just called Apple Support. They have diagnosed it and as it is in the AppleCare program. They had replaced my screen.

We have done all sort of solutions to reset hardware settings but it won't work.

The reason for such an issue is pressure on your screen when you have it in your bag.

Why is my screen flickering with this new macOS big sur update? I have a 2020 macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.