Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double login screen on Big Sur

Hey everyone!

I've got a problem: every time I reboot/launch my Mac I have a login screen. I enter my password and the process is completed, but after this I am asked to enter this one more time. And I finally get the access after the second attempt of typing it in. I didn't have this issue on Catalina.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 8:06 AM

JhonnyAxe wrote:

Hey everyone!

I've got a problem: every time I reboot/launch my Mac I have a login screen. I enter my password and the process is completed, but after this I am asked to enter this one more time. And I finally get the access after the second attempt of typing it in. I didn't have this issue on Catalina.

It sounds like Disk encryption got enabled on your install.

This is normal— The preboot partition contains the code which handles the login for an encrypted drive, after that is successfully unlocked it is handed off to the main OS

When you have an encrypted boot volume you receive a log-in screen before the main OS boots, you have to authenticate that in order for the encryption key for the boot volume to be released, and here you log into your user account.

You do not have to shutdown. Simply let the mac sleep. If you want to secure your user logged in, use the key combination— Control Command Q — for a lock screen before you close the lid.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 8:06 AM in response to JhonnyAxe

JhonnyAxe wrote:

Hey everyone!

It sounds like Disk encryption got enabled on your install.

This is normal— The preboot partition contains the code which handles the login for an encrypted drive, after that is successfully unlocked it is handed off to the main OS

When you have an encrypted boot volume you receive a log-in screen before the main OS boots, you have to authenticate that in order for the encryption key for the boot volume to be released, and here you log into your user account.

You do not have to shutdown. Simply let the mac sleep. If you want to secure your user logged in, use the key combination— Control Command Q — for a lock screen before you close the lid.

Dec 26, 2020 5:16 AM in response to JhonnyAxe

If you originally formatted the disk APFS Encrypted, the key cannot be entered into the keychain at this stage and you will be left with having to manually enter it at each boot, as well as the normal User Account password.

I think there is a Terminal command to put it into the Keychain, but cannot remember it offhand.

Else, make sure you have good Time Machine backup. Boot into a USB installer or Recovery partition. Erase the disk and delete any extra volumes except one. Format APFS unencrypted. Reinstall the system and enable Filevault when given the option during setup, or any time afterwards. The encryption key will now be available in the Keychain.

Double login screen on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.