Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with rear glass iPhone 12 Pro cracking/ smashing easily

Has anyone had issues with the rear glass cracking mine broke very easily by placing the iPhone 12 pro and iPhone 12 pro Max back to back to check sizes.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 6:00 PM

This is crazy. I’ve had this phone 4 days and the back glass cracked with out any accident. Spoke with an Apple representative and they have not heard of this being a problem. Now I have to spend $$ to get it fix. I thought this new iPhone 12 max Pro had a new stronger glass and case.

522 replies

Jun 18, 2021 1:16 AM in response to hs9670

I had an iPhione X for years, been dropped, chucked about and generally abused, although pretty scratched it's not cracked or broken.

Now, my daughters brand new iPhone 12, beautifully looked after but droppped from 30 inches onto a wood floor, in Apples protective case and the rear completely shattered all over.

Apple is losing customers to Android phones which use more durable materials and are generally higher spec and much better value.

Dec 8, 2020 5:59 AM in response to hs9670

My glass shattered in a case after falling about 2 feet. I have the 12 max pro and was super disappointed. It didn’t impact the images of my camera initially but is now adding prisms too the photos. I have had multiple iPhones and never had the back shatter like this. I also had the phone less than a week. So disappointed! The phone insurance wants to charge to replace the glass $250.

Jan 4, 2021 8:10 AM in response to hs9670

I had my new Iphone 12 max for a week and in otterbox case.... I noticed glass around camera was cracked about a week later... took off case and it was cracked all over. I reported this to apple and they said i must have dropped it and they would not repair. I have had many iphones and this has never happened... I do not recall dropping the phone and really lost for words. This phone has issues with back glass.... warning before you buy.

Mar 11, 2021 4:46 PM in response to ogflanker

This page:

iPhone Screen Repair & Replacement - Official Apple Support

states:

The repair pricing in this chart applies only to screen damage. If you have any other damage to your iPhone, you'll pay additional costs.

If you click on the "additional costs" link, you will find the associated prices:

If you have AppleCare+:

• AppleCare+ Service Fee: $99

Otherwise:

• iPhone 12 Pro Max: $599
  • iPhone 12 Pro: $549
  • iPhone 12: $449
  • iPhone 12 mini: $399
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max: $599
  • iPhone 11 Pro: $549
  • iPhone 11: $399

…and so on.

The back glass is considered an "Other damage" repair and will result in replacement, not repair of your device.

Feb 1, 2021 12:34 PM in response to hs9670

Dude I’ve had this dumb phone for one month and a half and the entire back is cracked because I dropped it half a foot in a inside of a phone case and the only option they’re willing to give me is replace the phone for an extra 200 dollars

IM GOING BACK TO ANDROID AND I SUGGEST EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD DOES TOO S LINE AND NOTE SERIES HAVE NEVER EVER GIVING ME THESE ISSUES DROPPED A S10 ONCE FROM 7 STORIES UP IN A OTTERBOX NP GBYE APPLE

Mar 5, 2021 9:10 AM in response to ogflanker

You agreed that

”your Submission should either be a technical support question or a technical support answer. Constructive feedback about product features is also welcome.”

(ASC Terms of Use.)

If you want Apple to hear your plight then this is not the place for it. It is not a chat area or a complaints department.

This is where to go to be “Heard by Apple”

Product Feedback - Apple

or here: 

Get Support

Claiming 700 me-toos out of 79.9 million sales in Q3 alone is not going to impress anyone either.

We the support volunteer group gave our advice early on:

• Get it fixed.
  • Next time cover it against accidental damage.

Jan 4, 2021 9:04 AM in response to LD150

Thanks, We all understand. None of us will get a free phone as this would be a huge recall for iPhone 12 max. Our point is the phone has a weak point that I have never experienced before with any other Apple phone. We should make people aware before they spend money on this specific phone. This should not happen at this price point. I would not even want this same iPhone phone if I got a new one. My iPhone 7 was great.

Issue with rear glass iPhone 12 Pro cracking/ smashing easily

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.