Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur Compatibility with TurboTax for Mac 2020

Is anyone having issues with loading and executing Turbotax for mac 2020?

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 9:36 AM

53 replies

Nov 17, 2020 10:59 AM in response to ronaldfromlake havasu city

No problem here. There's a short pause when quitting but nothing else so far.

Try booting into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 19, 2020 9:46 AM in response to ronaldfromlake havasu city

I fully agree that it is unneeded and WILL cause problems. Just to explain further, the Mac has its own built in protection as part of the operating system. Further, with the current operating systems, when you open Disk utility and view your hard drive, you now see two: Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD-Data. the first one is where all of Apple's apps and files are placed. It is read only, which means that no virus can be installed there. The operating system can not be modified or affected. Period! The files and apps you install or create are placed in the second part. This is as good as it can get and there are no problems caused as with all of the antivirus apps.

Jan 4, 2021 9:12 AM in response to DMcGrew44

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community   

That being said you've installed Cylance which is totally unnecessary for Macs. It should be uninstalled according to the developer's instructions. Then you can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running Find Any File to search for any files with the application's name  and the developer's name in the file name.  For Cylance software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cylance

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

Here's some food for thought:

Chrome is Bad
Video demonstrating above
Google Chrome Listening In To Your Room Shows The Importance Of Privacy Defense In Depth.
Unseen Burdens in Chrome That Can Lead a Mac to Lag
How to Manage the Secret Software That Google Chrome Installs on Your Mac\
Google Chrome's Sham 'Do Not Track' Feature
Google is known to "phone home" with users data as was found out with this new Google Photos service:  Google Photos may be free — but there's still a cost.

If you don't like Safari give Firefox a try.  It's much more secure and safe.

Nov 18, 2020 10:42 AM in response to ronaldfromlake havasu city

Don't just turn off Intego, uninstall it completely.

Also have you run any other "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus apps on your Mac?

If so download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Feb 9, 2021 4:35 PM in response to niedfreddie

niedfreddie wrote:

This is a disaster for both Intuit TT and Apple.

This is not an Apple issue. This is a Intuit TT issue.

In fact if you go to Amazon it will not say that the newer OS (11.0) is supported. It only goes up to Catalina 10.15.

Ask Intuits so-called tech support why it's lying to its customers. They fully know that 11.0 is not supported.

Nov 18, 2020 8:09 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your quick response. I am still working the problem. Going to safe mode did solve the problem but when returning to regular mode the problem remains. I did turn off the virus protection software Intego but that didn't help. I reinstalled MacOS Big Sur but when trying TurboTax this morning, the problem remains. I have not discovered any other similar problems with other Apps. Quicken for Mac runs as expected. Not sure where to go now but will think on it today. If you have anymore ideas I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks again.

Nov 18, 2020 2:13 PM in response to Old Toad

I uninstalled the Intego App and the problem was solved. I plan to reinstall the App and see if the problem re-occurs. If it does, will contact Intego. I have not run any other "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up" or anti-virus other that the Intego App on this Mac so didn't pursue downloading and running the EntreCheck App. Do you still think it is necessary? Thanks again for your help on this.

Jan 9, 2021 8:29 AM in response to ronaldfromlake havasu city

Turbo Tax and Big Sur: This is the fix I used to get Turbo Tax to "Run" on Big Sur. 1) Installed on another Mac not using Big Sur, 2) Entered the Turbo Tax License Number, 3) Turbo Tax then did the updates, 4) Copied the Turbo Tax App from the Application Folder to a CD, 5) From CD Copied over to my Mac running Big Sur - it then loaded and ran without problems.

SUMMARY: Load it on a different mac NOT running Big Sur - do the updates - then copy over to the Mac running Big Sur. Luckily my daughters Mac was on Mohave. Lot easier than redoing the OS

Jan 24, 2021 5:28 PM in response to ronaldfromlake havasu city

Trying to download Turbotax premier purchased at Sam's club onto MacAir202 with OS Big Sur 11.1 Get message The fololowing disk images couldn't be opened m_turbotax_1040_ image not recognized. So frutrating. Tried yesterday with son's turbotax CD and Catalina OS and got as far as installing but not fully. So upgraded OS to BIg Sur and tried downloading. Now what?

MacOS Big Sur Compatibility with TurboTax for Mac 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.