Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you set a HomePod mini stereo pair as the default speaker’s for a Apple TV HD?

Is it possible to set a HomePod mini stereo pair as the default speakers for a Apple TV HD?

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 2:34 PM

Try it using the Remote after you have paired your minis. As I posted in another thread, for the AppleTV-HD there is no longer an Audio Output setting in tvOS 14.2 under Video & Audio to connect HomePod(s) as speaker(s). One has to use the Control Center on the Remote by pressing and holding the TV button until the Control Center appears on screen and selecting the AirPlay icon and then your HomePod(s). See <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809#appletv>.

Good luck!

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 2:34 PM in response to Uno_Sheriff

Try it using the Remote after you have paired your minis. As I posted in another thread, for the AppleTV-HD there is no longer an Audio Output setting in tvOS 14.2 under Video & Audio to connect HomePod(s) as speaker(s). One has to use the Control Center on the Remote by pressing and holding the TV button until the Control Center appears on screen and selecting the AirPlay icon and then your HomePod(s). See <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202809#appletv>.

Good luck!

Nov 28, 2020 6:54 AM in response to Uno_Sheriff

Because I’m considering buying some HomePod minis, I just want to be clear:

It sounds like it is possible to set up two HomePod minis as a stereo pair and the Apple TV can use the pair for audio output.

But the only issue is that neither the Apple TV HD nor the Apple TV 4K can set that HomePod mini stereo pair as the default audio output.

Is that right?

Are there any other issues? And more importantly—how does it sound?

Thank you!

Nov 28, 2020 7:07 AM in response to Khoi Vinh

I am using two HomePod Minis as a stereo pair for an Apple TV 4K. I can't set them as the default, but they do work.

Because they aren't the default, there are oddities. You have no interface sound when navigating the UI. At the end of a Netflix show, when the credits start to roll, and the interface pops up offering to play the next episode, the sound still streams but the sound level cannot be changed.

On the positive side, Siri works nicely, and you can handoff music from your phone, and doing so doesn't force you to reconnect to the Apple TV afterwards.

As for the sound quality, I am happy, and I'd wager that most people would be, but an audiophile likely wouldn't be satisfied with the weak bass. There is only so much small speakers can do.

Overall, I'm pleased, but Apple really needs to allow for the default sound option.

Nov 29, 2020 7:20 AM in response to Uno_Sheriff

I grabbed a pair of the mini’s and could not connect them to Apple TV. Spent 90 minutes with Apple Support, no luck they are to talk with engineering and get back to me. I found the issue. My Apple TV was hard wired to the internet. It was not on the same WiFi network are the home pods. Un plugged the Ethernet, connected to WiFi. Bingo works great.

So bottom line Apple TV must be on WiFi not hardwired.

Dec 1, 2020 2:22 PM in response to Getzen

totally agree. I've just bought one to see how it is and works great on my Apple 4K TV, but, Apple glaringly removed the default option to set the HomePod Mini as the default output speaker. So it works where it's important, but, Apple definitely needs to bring this to HomePod Mini and soon as it adds to the users experience. Hopefully soon Apple will realize the importance of this experience and flow of enjoyment.

Apple, Please add in the default audio output for HomePod Mini !!!! Let's make it greater than it currently is !!!!!

Thanks in advance

Dec 6, 2020 7:15 AM in response to Deldiablo78

Agreed, I have an AppleTV HD and one HomePod mini. It’s really aggravating that I can’t set the mini as a default speaker. The TV sound is really tinny, hence the HomePod mini purchase.

Sometimes the mini gets used automatically, sometimes I have to select it manually and then sometimes I can’t control the sound level on the mini with the TV remote.

What point are Apple trying to make with this restriction?

Dec 9, 2020 7:50 PM in response to Uno_Sheriff

No you can't! You used to be able to and Apple limited the default audio device to only HomePods in the latest update, can't select the mini anymore. So people would have to buy the more expensive model to use this function. Very disappointing since many people ordered their HomePod minis before the change and now have to use the inferior and buggy AirPlay method. I will be returning my mini since it is no longer fit for purpose.

Dec 15, 2020 1:42 PM in response to Khoi Vinh

Thats right. Found out the hard way. Printing the return labels for both of the ones I just got now. Also to integrate it in theater mode (use them as rear speakers etc) you have to buy the 300$ ones, they disabled that on the minis. A real shame, these would be PERFECT for setting up an expensive surround sound system.

Oh Well. Cheap to buy bluetooth speakers off label of apple, and pair through your TV, and get the same thing for less.

Dec 15, 2020 5:28 PM in response to Uno_Sheriff

Note that big HomePods work differently than Minis with Apple TV 4K. The big HomePod can be set as the permanent audio output for "Home Theater", but the Mini still just connects via AirPlay 2 and may disconnect when used for other things.

This feature was mentioned during the Apple keynote as something you could only do with the big HomePod.

Can you set a HomePod mini stereo pair as the default speaker’s for a Apple TV HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.