Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur killed HP LaserJet 3600

I was surprised several months ago when I connected my mom's HP LaserJet 3600 to my MacBook Pro (running Catalina) via USB (with USB-C to USB adapter) and the printer worked! In fact - the printer worked amazingly well.

Then along comes Big Sur... and as soon as I connect the printer, I get the attached warning regarding "will damage your computer". Wading through HP's web site - they suggested running their uninstaller app... so I did. Well, that removed all HP drivers including for another printer that still works fine...). So I have the other working, but there are NO drivers for this printer, not even legacy drivers... I'm stumped. I really would like to use this printer - and since it worked just fine under Catalina... I do not see a reason for it not to work under Big Sur (other printer drivers are working fine).

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 2:32 AM

Hi,

1. Remove your printer from the System Preferences> Printers
  2. Install HP Smart App from the mac App Store
  3. Add a new printer in System Preferences> Printer (it should be detected)

Just did that today and it worked.

cheers,

Brice

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 19, 2020 6:36 PM in response to keash

The Smart App never sees the printer, despite being connected. But...

System Preferences>Printer could see it - and actually offered an HP LaserJet postscript option.

Unfortunately, that results in this error:

Smart App isn't so smart... (and my MacBook Pro can "see" the printer connected via USB - thats' why it will let me try to add it).

Big Sur killed HP LaserJet 3600

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.