Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Homepod mini handoff not working

I purchased this specifically for the handoff feature as working from home I thought it would be pretty cool to be able to hold my phone near it while on call or playing a podcast and have it transfer over without going through the Bluetooth menu but after setting up the homepod mini, it just doesn't work at all. The "transfer to homepod" feature is enabled.

Also, when I tap the top, it just starts playing U2 music but not sure why it does that. What app would that be playing from/ Any way to disable that?

HomePod mini, 14

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 12:55 PM

Similar questions

187 replies

Jan 26, 2021 9:41 PM in response to aquamila

Update HomePod and the iOS device you used to set up HomePod to iOS 14.4. Released today, is supposed to have fixed the Handoff bugs

HomePod Software Version 14.4

Software version 14.4 includes bug fixes and the following new features with an Ultra Wideband (U1) equipped iPhone.

• Hand off music with visual, audible, and haptic effects from iPhone to HomePod mini
  • Get personalized listening suggestions on iPhone when it is next to HomePod mini
  • Media controls automatically appear without having to unlock iPhone when it is close to HomePod mini

About Software Updates for HomePod - Apple Support

Dec 15, 2020 6:05 AM in response to KhyberNY

KhyberNY wrote:

14.3 still no luck with handoff

If you haven't already tried these steps since updating to 14.3 try them now.

See Play audio on HomePod using an iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support. Under Settings > General > AirPlay & Handoff try turning off both Transfer to HomePod and Handoff, step back to the previous menu to apply the changes, then turn both options back on.

tt2

Nov 26, 2020 7:28 PM in response to JimCzer

Again this morning my observations

1. Removed all corporate profile
  2. Reset the phone to factory reset
  3. Setup the phone as new (Not bringing in old backup)
  4. install all corporate profiles
  5. Transfer/Handoff works flawless so far no issues, only issue remaining is call direct landing on the speaker which used to happen on my elder version o HomePod
  6. Still working with Apple Support they installed some test profiles on my phone and HomePod both reproduced the scenarios and collected all relevant logs
  7. To me it sounds like they know there is a bug and trying to identify realtime usecases
  8. I will keep you all posted once i hear from them

Dec 5, 2020 2:46 AM in response to Johnburg

After all the test finally all works well for me. am writing this after a week of observation and all works consistently

-handoff feature

-call direct landing on speaker etc

-intercom

Things I tired

1. full wipe off setup phone as new no restore of backup
  2. ensure handoff is on airplay settings
  3. always WiFi Bluetooth on
  4. 14.2 OS update on both
  5. appropriate regional settings

Dec 27, 2020 9:08 PM in response to dervish177

HI Community Here is an other observation from myside for whatever its worth! But the bottomline Apple has to address the underlying core issue with this feature..

• My phone iPhone SE 2020 was working great post factory reset, all fine
  • Suddenly last couple days ago my HomePod mini lost wifi connectivity
  • I tried to connect it with different wifi networks nothing was going thru
  • I restored the HomePod connecting with my MacBook
  • After all the hardwork :) setup was done and this time Handoff stopped working completely while my wife's phone continue to do handoff same phone same iOS version 14.3
  • I decided to get my phone to DFU mode and reinstall all manually
  • Once this is done, again my phone started behaving well with Handoff etc

I'm totally confused now, is it because of corporate profile restricting it later on after installation or any other application intruding? or another confusion I tried setting up my Phillips Hue system in between that swapped the IP address of HomePod due to which Home pod wasn't connecting to the wifi. Net-Net whatever may be it the system should be able to heal/isolate the issue rather end user struggling like this.

Please do SOMETHING APPLE we like this product and features and we would like to promote only if its all consistent!

Nov 19, 2020 8:49 AM in response to Packs

Make sure your HomePod mini is updated to 14.2. You can check by going into the Home app > selecting the HomePod > scroll down and select the Settings icon (cog wheel).

Once I updated mine I have no issues with handoff it works perfectly. Before the update it was intermittent. Also it doesn’t seem to work with Spotify but it works with Apple Music. Haven’t tested anything else yet.

Nov 24, 2020 7:18 AM in response to dervish177

I have the iPhone Pro 12 Max, actually 3 of them in the family. Come to find out it was one of the new iPhone 12 Pro Max that didn’t work with the hand off on the homepod mini, it might be the U1 chip or NFC or whatever it uses is not reading the homepod mini. The homepod mini my daughter had didnt work I thought it was a problem with the homepod mini so I returned it and got another one and same problem. Then I reset it and tried it on my phone and it worked, then tried it on her phone again it didnt work. So Im replacing her phone and if it then works with the homepod mini then I know it was something with the new phone. I know its an extreme to do this but what else can it be, her previous iphone 11 pro max worked fine including. We restored her iphone 11 pro max backup to the iphone 12 pro max just like I did for mine and my wife and ours worked fine on the homepod mini with the exception of my daughters. I may be an outlier for my problem but we will see. I know one thing spending that kind of money on the top end iphone 12 pro max 512gb I want it to work like it should. I don’t see what else our problem with the homepod mini could be other than the iphone that we were using. So if yours doesn’t work and if there is someone else with and iphone around try theirs and see if if works on the homepod mini.

Nov 25, 2020 1:14 PM in response to Johnburg

Thank you JimCzer. Because of your message and the extraordinary patience and expertise of an Apple T2 Tech, my Handoff is now working on both my Home Pod and Home Pod mini. The tech and I tried every setting under the sun to no avail. Because the devices were new, I was reluctant to wipe the iPhone and start from scratch. However, remembering your positive result, I finally agreed. Glad that I did because it ultimately was a software issue (apparently something from the most recent update) that was causing the problem. It is now fixed. My devices are working as they should - cool. Many thanks to you and to the talented Tech Advisor with whom I worked.

Nov 26, 2020 1:49 AM in response to Packs

To All I discovered this today, while am working with Apple support they installed a profile etc and collecting logs on my iPhone SE 2nd gen, the transfer/handoff feature worked beautifully with my wife's phone. Only reason I could conclude is the MDM Corporate Profile on my phone which was stopping this on my phone. Just incase its a worth try. Having said in both our phones the call landing directly on the speaker is not working. Apple support is working.

Nov 26, 2020 4:52 PM in response to Srivatchsan

Handoff worked when completely wiping the phone and restarting. As soon as I added back the most recent backup, it no longer worked. Not only did it not work on the mini but also on the larger Home Pod original. Was instructed by Apple tech to wipe the phone again and just do without the apps that have taken years to accumulate, settings that have taken months of trial and error to find that worked effectively for me. What do you think, wipe the phone so I have access to the handoff feature.? I don't think so! I can only assume that the problem is on Apple's end. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I'm not, but I'm not wiping my phone, and I will remain hopeful that Apple will come out with a fix because I don't think we are the only people having problems..

Nov 26, 2020 5:26 PM in response to dervish177

They obviously have some major bugs with the homepod mini handoff. I have done just about everything imaginable but can’t fix the problem. It works on my iphone pro 12 max but not my daughters iphone pro 12 max. I replaced a homepod mini thinking it was that then replaced a one week old phone until I realized its hopefully a software bug problem and not a hardware problem because then we are screwed if it is a hardware issue. Even with my phone its on and off again working so I hope they figure it out. The reason I purchase three homepod mini’s was for the handoff feature so I hope they figure it out soon. Im just surprised this wasnt caught in testing because I’m hearing about this all over the place, how could they possibly not have seen this?

Homepod mini handoff not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.