Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8 won't connect to iTunes after iOS update

My iPhone 8 Plus just updated and now won't connect to my iTunes which I need for work. The dialogue box says "A Software Update is Required to Connect to iPhone" and gives me the option to download and install immediately but doesn't say exactly what I'll be installing and whether it will affect my whole system or just iTunes. Catalina and Big Sur have caused issues with software I use for my profession and I'd hate to lose my work by accidentally updating iOS. Can anyone at Apple verify?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 8:34 AM

Welcome!

Can anyone at Apple verify?

Apple personal do not reply here. We are your fellow end users. However, in the same work situation as you, I have dealt with that upgrade message and there is no problem other that an unbelievably poorly-word advisory.

That will not install Catalina or Big Sur. See:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I had that recently when I upgraded an iPad to iPadOS 14 using iTunes on my iMac running Mojave. I also applied th same update to my MacBook Pro running Mojave. Both still have their original OS versions.

The download is NOT a system software upgrade. The download is small and took maybe two minutes to install. I believe it patches iTunes to iOS 14 compatibility to allow you to continue to do backups, upgrades, and synching of your device through iTunes as before. I'm maintaining four iPads, two running iPadOS 14 and all four still synch, upgrade and backup through iTunes.

I also have to stay at Mojave for compatibility issues and this did not change that.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2020 8:34 AM in response to pnicole1000

Welcome!

Can anyone at Apple verify?

Apple personal do not reply here. We are your fellow end users. However, in the same work situation as you, I have dealt with that upgrade message and there is no problem other that an unbelievably poorly-word advisory.

That will not install Catalina or Big Sur. See:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

I had that recently when I upgraded an iPad to iPadOS 14 using iTunes on my iMac running Mojave. I also applied th same update to my MacBook Pro running Mojave. Both still have their original OS versions.

The download is NOT a system software upgrade. The download is small and took maybe two minutes to install. I believe it patches iTunes to iOS 14 compatibility to allow you to continue to do backups, upgrades, and synching of your device through iTunes as before. I'm maintaining four iPads, two running iPadOS 14 and all four still synch, upgrade and backup through iTunes.

I also have to stay at Mojave for compatibility issues and this did not change that.

iPhone 8 won't connect to iTunes after iOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.