Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod mini play pause lag when paired with Mac mini

I took delivery of the new Mac mini M1 along with a HomePod mini and I've set it up as the audio output for my Mac mini, it works fine with music streaming, but when it comes to videos like watching YouTube, Vimeo or BBC iPlayer there is at least a 2 second delay when I start or stop play.

This is not a lip sync issue, When I hit play play back starts after 2 to 3 seconds and same with Pause, it carries on playing for the next couple of seconds before it pauses the video.

So far I've tried 3 different browsers, Safari, Chrome and Microsoft edge - no change

Contacted apple support and as per their advice restored Mac OS - no change

I've performed reset on HomePod mini - no change

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to resolve this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 9:00 AM

50 replies

Dec 8, 2020 3:33 AM in response to tekie

@michelehimself

I’m having the exact San and noticed the exact same I thought it was just my unit hopefully Apple fixed this with a software update. Im experiencing the same when AirPlaying music from Spotify whenever I play or pause there’s like a 2 or 3 second delay but no delay for the volume. Also had the same when AirPlaying audio from my MacBook Air from Netflix to my HomePod mini. Audio is great quality and easy if use they just need to solve this. I wonder if the same happens with the OG HomePod ?

Nov 21, 2020 10:19 AM in response to michelehimself

First of all, thanks for responding, Yes, you are right volume control from my Mac mini works fine. I haven't tested it with my iPhone though, but from what you gathered I believe it will be the same response.

I've tried another bluetooth speaker - Anker sound core and it works fine with my Mac mini, so clearly its an issue with HomePod mini, I was going to send it back to apple to get a replacement as suggested by apple support, but if you have the same issue, I believe the solution has to be a firmware update from Apple, but the big question is how long we have to wait to get that far.

Feb 17, 2021 11:52 AM in response to DTPhoto

Hi DTPhoto. Not sure if you fixed your issue yet or not. I had the same problem with an Apple TV. In the case of the Apple TV, there is a 'wireless sync' you can perform for audio. Supposed to help fix problems (especially if you have a sound bar in the mix). Definitely worked for me!

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210526

Having said that, I do have the same issue with a HomePod mini and a Mac mini as described by OP. No fix yet.

Dec 29, 2020 1:41 PM in response to tekie

I got a Sonos speaker recently and when I use Airplay to stream music to it, I have the same issues like the others here:

• Delay with play, pause, skip track
  • viewing videos is perfectly in sync

So I think it is an issue with the Airplay protocol, not the devices itself (HomePod, Sonos etc.)

I hope that the engineers are already working on this💪

Heads up!

Nov 21, 2020 7:28 AM in response to tekie

Hey tekie-

Unfortunately, I have the same issue and wanted to ask you a question. I hope Apple solves this, because it's really annoying.

In my case, there is also a delay of 1 to 3 seconds no matter what I'm listening to on all devices. (MacBook Pro 15" and iPhone) So If I pause or skip or anything else there is always this delay but as you already said, it syncs up perfectly fine. It just seems to be a slow response problem. Even if I touch the top panel of my HomePod mini to pause it takes a while.

Now, I've discovered something weird: Changing volume of the HomePod mini itself on my MacBook Pro seems to be the only action where there is absolutely no delay. I'm very interested if that's the case with your Mini as well.

Dec 17, 2020 4:06 PM in response to tekie

I had a similar problem, until I ran into something tat looks like this

The HomePod Mini is "Bedroom" and it just would not connect to my Macbook Pro for whatever reason. I had much better luck using Google Nest Mini; I thought by getting something that is similarly an Apple product would make things even smoother. How wrong I was.

Dec 3, 2020 5:19 AM in response to tekie

I have exactly the same issue. The weird thing is that I started having this issue today. It's been one week I have the HomePod Mini and I've had no trouble so far...

Totally useless yo have the HomePod then, except for the music...

Any solution so far?

Even when I adjust the volume off the HomePod directly from my MacBook Pro it makes no difference...

Dec 3, 2020 9:08 AM in response to Darshada

I've now tested the homepod mini with my iPad and iPhone 12 using spotify and youtube, but I'm sorry to say the lag is very much there. The play and pause reaction time is at least 3 to 4 second. Apple support is offering to replace my homepod, but I've 2 of them both reacting the same way.

Dec 3, 2020 11:29 PM in response to tekie

Yes, I still have the lag of two seconds when I hit play or pause, but at least now when I watch a video/music whether it is on Netflix, YouTube, iTunes or VLC. That's a little bit annoying, but nothing like the video being totally out of sync with the audio like it was the case in VLC.

Since I've switched to Optimus Player, I have 0 trouble with that and I can finally use my HomePod Mini to watch movies.

Dec 4, 2020 2:42 PM in response to tekie

Same here with the HomePods. Just purchased to add to the MacBook Air 1 and seeing the same issue. It does not happen when I play through the iPhone. I was tempted to return but hoping Apple comes out with an update for Mac OS Big Sur (and/or other operating systems this might affect) to resolve.

On a side note, I also hope they allow you to use two HomePods for stereo set up with the Mac. Yes, there is a work around but it's annoying.

Dec 22, 2020 12:20 PM in response to tekie

It seems to be an old problem of airplay 2 technology. It works fine with iPhone and iPad but not Macs. When you choose to play audio to airplay speakers there is always delay like 2 seconds. Unable to watch movies and play games. But if you play video in safari or music app everything is fine. And that's really painful. As I see the problem is still there with new HomePods and new Macs

Dec 23, 2020 4:38 AM in response to tekie

To be honest I have a million problems with the HomePod mini.

Delay, connection issues, compatibility issues, and tons of times the HomePod mini is not responding... I kind of regret my purchase... Plus it’s not even by Bluetooth but only WiFi... so if it’s down for some reason, then it doesn’t work... 🤷‍♂️

How can we make Apple aware of theses issues and work on them?

I thought staying in the Apple ecosystem would make everything smooth but it’s actually worse than other speaker brands... it’s infuriating...

HomePod mini play pause lag when paired with Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.