Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play/pause toolbar on Preview.app Big Sur

Hello Guys!

I have just updated my Mac to Big Sur and I notice that now Preview app contains a play/pause button for PDF documents also on full screen mode (not only on Slideshow). I was wondering if anyone knows how to remove this toolbar.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 1:40 PM

Yet again, Apple has ruined a perfectly good working application with an annoying useless feature that no one will ever use when viewing a pdf. I now regret upgrading to Big Sur. Thanks for the big middle finger, Apple. Deleting preview now for Adobe, shame on you Apple.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 1:40 PM in response to GCMS

Yet again, Apple has ruined a perfectly good working application with an annoying useless feature that no one will ever use when viewing a pdf. I now regret upgrading to Big Sur. Thanks for the big middle finger, Apple. Deleting preview now for Adobe, shame on you Apple.

Jan 24, 2021 2:07 PM in response to GCMS

In the slideshow mode if you move the cursor out of the Preview window the control bar will go away after a couple of seconds. You can advance or go back a slide using the forward and back arrows on the keyboard without bringing up the control bar again. As soon as the cursor is brought back into the Preview window the control bar will return.

Dec 1, 2020 8:37 AM in response to GCMS

Hello, GCMS.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

We understand from your post, the slideshow bar is still appearing even when not in the correct view. We'd be glad to help. Does it only appear with this specific document or does it happen with others?

Have you tried turning on Slideshow and back off?

Also, see if this happens in safe mode as well: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Keep us updated.

Cheers!

Dec 1, 2020 10:50 AM in response to Matthew.S81

Hello Matthew!

Thanks for your support!

I have noticed that it happens with all .pdf documents. Sometimes, when you open the pdf, the bar is not there yet. However, if you place a right-click (i.e., a two-fingers click) followed by a simple click in the document, the bar appears again. I have also tried turning on and off the slideshow mode, but it also don't fix the issue. I will try the safe mode!

Best,

Jan 24, 2021 2:06 PM in response to GCMS

As long as you persist in touching a mouse or trackpad, that navigation panel will hover over your Preview PDF slideshow. When you stop touching the input device, the panel will simply disappear, and you can manually move forward or backward through your presentation with any of the opposing arrow keys. This is usually true. This dispenses with the auto-play and fade effects, but it does rid you of the navigation eyesore.

Jan 24, 2021 2:06 PM in response to VikingOSX

I understand that VikingOSX! However, this is still not a solution, because in a pratical sense we move the touchpad all the time. Moreover, there is a clear bug. If you actually activate the slideshow mode, in which this bar would normally appears, and then turn it off again, you will notice that you cannot turn it off! In fact, the screen starts to blink and the only way to stop it is to click on the yellow minimize button... if you then maximize the screen again, the bar will be there... the point is, apparently there is something wrong going on with preview app...

Jan 24, 2021 2:18 PM in response to Old Toad

As I was saying to Viking, I don't think this is a solution. Imagine the following scenario, which was exactly the one that triggered my support request: you are doing a remote presentation, through some meeting web app (such as google meetings). You then want to share your screen, open your pdf document and highlight some parts of the text. Now, imagine that the text you are highlighting is exactly under this bar... what do you do in that case? I mean, I doesn't make sense. And again, it seems this is a bug... if you go to slideshow and click the "X" button to close it, your screen will blink a gray background until you minimize it...

Jan 24, 2021 2:31 PM in response to GCMS

As fellow users, we can only recommend workaround solutions to the application problem. Any fixes that would make you happy need to come from the macOS Product team that does not participate in these public community discussions.

In High Sierra 10.13.6, the navigation panel appears across the bottom of the slideshow and eventually vanishes without input device interruption while the slideshow continues to advance at a quite rapid pace for practical reading consumption.

It would surprise me that the same engineer that worked on Preview in the High Sierra timeframe is still supporting the application, and that introduces other hands strangling the cat. Product management decisions that resulted in changes to the application may also have caused collateral damage to functionality, and that would require an attentive QA team in place to notice the aberration with slideshows.

Feb 10, 2021 11:51 AM in response to fgent

Act

fgent wrote:

Why not utilize the touch bar instead of taking up screen space? I use preview to read textbooks and having these buttons appear on screen is distracting and breaks the aesthetics of the app. What a nuisance. I'm going to download an alternate app in the meantime.

I agree that these appearing is annoying, but:

If you are reading you don't need to use the mouse or trackpad, right?

As long as you stick to the keyboard, this overlay does not appear.

Play/pause toolbar on Preview.app Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.