Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M1 - LG Ultrafine 5k display wake problems

Happily I have stepped into the new silicon world and got the Ultrafine 5k display - unfortunately when the Mac goes to sleep it doesn't appear to be able to wake the display when I return. Currently I am having to either force a reboot or shut it down when I am not using it.

Extremely annoying - everything else is lovely but this refusal to wake as it should is so frustrating.

I have looked around and it seems that this isn't purely a Mac mini M1 thing - any help is appreciated.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 4:34 PM

Big Sur 11.1

This release also addresses the following issues:

• Bluetooth connection status was not displayed in Control Center

• Reliability of unlocking your Mac automatically with your Apple Watch

• Trackpad scrolling speed may be faster than expected on MacBook Pro models

• LG UltraFine 5K Display may incorrectly display at 4K resolution on Macs with M1

Similar questions

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 4:34 PM in response to michaelfromunion

Big Sur 11.1

This release also addresses the following issues:

• Bluetooth connection status was not displayed in Control Center

• Reliability of unlocking your Mac automatically with your Apple Watch

• Trackpad scrolling speed may be faster than expected on MacBook Pro models

• LG UltraFine 5K Display may incorrectly display at 4K resolution on Macs with M1

Nov 25, 2020 3:38 PM in response to saamvisual

I have had a very similar experience (with the M1 Mac mini and the LG Ultrafine 5K).

I have had to resort to disconnecting the cable and reconnecting which has worked sometimes to get the display to wake up but not every time (requiring a force shutdown on the Mac mini).

I have also had the display wake after sleep but the video output shown on the display is garbled. I need to take a picture when it happens next, but the content shows with almost like a vertical interlace with stair step distortion. Hard to explain but nothing in the UI would resolve this (force a resolution change etc). This required a disconnect of the cable and reconnect - which then returned the display back to normal.

Nov 26, 2020 3:22 PM in response to saamvisual

I've had the same issue. With my pre-existing LG Ultrafine 5K, which has worked flawlessly with my macbook pro but using the same cord on the M1 Mini it blanks out even while I am using the mouse or keyboard and comes back only for a few seconds at a time. Connecting toa 4K display (where my old mini was) works fine connected with an HDMI. While connected with the HDMI to the 4K, the M1 Mini never even sees the Ultrafine. Also, if I unplug the Ultrafine (with out the HDMI/4K connected) from the M1, it will not see it/wake the screen when I plug it in. Quite annoying. I assume LG and/or Apple will ultimately come up with a fix, but it simply cannot work now

Nov 30, 2020 1:09 PM in response to pkorologos

Seems that more M1 machines have some trouble with the 5K model. My MacBook Pro also has some issues with the LG 5K. It refuses to use resolutions above 2880x1660... My wives 2016 MacbookPro still works fine with it. Only with switcheresx I can tweak it to run higher resolutions. LG's screen manager also does not recognize my LG Ultrafine 5K on my M1. The old MBP model has no trouble at all.... Hope there will be an update soon... Good luck!

Dec 2, 2020 6:21 PM in response to saamvisual

I have had a very similar experience TOO (with the M1 Mac mini and the LG Ultrafine 5K).

M1 Mac mini with 5K LG will be only working in 4k mode when wake from sleep. After boot it working in glamour 5K resolution but when my mini sleep, then i wake it up it will only work in 4k mode. I have to reboot my Mac mini to get 5k mode again. Looks like M1 Mac has a lot compatibility issues on external display connection.

Dec 2, 2020 7:53 PM in response to saamvisual

Adding my name to the growing list of woes with an M1 Mac mini (fully spec'ed) and an Ultrafine 22". Display occasionally has trouble waking up after the M1 goes to sleep no matter what cable I use (using original Apple cables), and unplugging/plugging back the monitor seems to work. The display sometimes also stops responding to volume or brightness input, and in rarer cases even goes black for a second when exporting complex files from Final Cut Pro 10.5. LG's ridiculously-useless app does nothing-- can't reset, upgrade firmware, it can't even recognize the monitor. I should mention this is a barely-used, almost new, monitor.

Hoping Apple can release a patch for this.

Dec 2, 2020 8:41 PM in response to Fabian Aguirre

I've been able to get the Ultrafine 5K to work with my M1 at full res. Sound and video cam all work fine. I've seen the blank out issue maybe once or two a day but no big issue, just a few secs of lost productivity. I set my display to not shutoff for 2hrs and seems all is fine. However, I haven't been able to get a Ultrafine 4K I have to work with the HDMI port. Tried all sorts of connectors but none have worked. Appreciate if anyone knows how to get the Ultrafine 4K to work with the M1 HDMI port.

Dec 6, 2020 10:35 AM in response to evanfelts

Similar issue with my M1 Mac Mini and my LG 5K ultra fine. The workaround for the reversion to 4 K is to sis and putting the monitor to seek under Energy savings settings. Once I did that the System responds quickly to mouse or keyboard activity to turn the monitor back on, and it stays in 5K. I hope a complete fix is forthcoming from Apple.

Dec 7, 2020 1:21 PM in response to saamvisual

Hmmh I have also Problems with M1 and LG 5k. It goes dark randomly for 1-2 seconds. very annoying as I do a lot of live videos. The support in Germany here was unaware of the problem. They said I should try with a new user as it should be a software problem. But I used the same software with my former Mac mini without problems.

Dec 7, 2020 5:31 PM in response to saamvisual

I have a similar problem. When mini wakes up the monitor reverts to 4k NOT 5K resolution. I have to disconnect and connect the cable to the monitor and I get my 5K back. I found a workaround by going to system preference>energy saver and checking prevent computer from sleeping. Apple Tech said this will not hurt the computer. Since they couldn't figure out why this was happening, after 6 phone calls, they decided to send me a new Mac Mini and Apple thunderbolt cable. We will see what happens. The next step will be calling LG support.

Dec 8, 2020 1:19 PM in response to saamvisual

I'm having a similar problem with my monitors.

They connect fine on startup and operate perfectly - until and unless my machine goes to sleep. Then one or the other monitor will freeze - and/or show strange psychedelic colors - and I have to do a hard restart on the computer to get things back. Right now, the only solution seems to be not letting the computer sleep, and not letting the disks go to sleep. When I do this, everything works fine - the monitors look great (especially the Acer Predator!) with better color and detail than I've ever managed from my aging MacBook.

Mac mini M1 - LG Ultrafine 5k display wake problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.