Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magic Keyboard / Trackpad looses connection

Every 2-3 minutes either the keyboard or the trackpad looses bluetooth connection.

Are there workaorunds to fix this?

Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM

Mac mini, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 6:21 AM

18 replies

Nov 27, 2020 7:56 AM in response to kolwo

There is not documented NVRAM reset for the M1 Mac's.

From what I'm gleaning on line, the M1 carries out a function similar to the SMC and NVRAM reset at startup.

Bluetooth and Wi-Fi issues can be related to high speed USB 3 and Thunderbolt 3 drives, device and cables.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

This is not a new issue with the 2020 M1 Mac Mini. The 2012, 2014, 2018 Mac Mini's all suffer from this problem when using USB 3.0 and higher speed drive and cable connections.

If you follow the excellent advise from dwb and the support article, you should easily be able to narrow down the device or cable causing the problem. Sometimes all it requires is a little rearranging of cables and devices to clear up the problem. Other times it requires replacing a cable with a better cable or device to clear up the problem.

@ hcitas some of us have more than 4 external devices and require the use of a hub. Plus anyone with more than 4 external devices, should actually use a hub instead of fumbling around the back of the Mac Mini plugging and unplugging devices.

Nov 27, 2020 6:25 AM in response to kolwo

While hcsitas has probably identified the issue his advice might be overkill. The problem you are experiencing is probably caused by a noisy USB device - this is very common with the Mac mini because the BT antenna is so close to the USB ports and likely to be close to USB devices. The USB ’noise’ could be coming from your HUB, one (or more) of your USB external drive(s), or your USB cables.

To identify the problem try unplugging all your USB devices (excluding mouse and/or keyboard) and also unplug the USB hub’s power brick. You should now experience no BT interference. Now one by one plug in a USB device and use the computer for a few moments. If that device is the issue you’ll probably notice is quite quickly. Keep testing the devices - I found I had two causing the problem.

Possible solutions: since my mouse is on the right side of my computer I moved the offending USB devices to the far left of my computer. That almost entirely fixed my problems. While going through all the testing I noticed that some of my USB cables felt flimsier than others. I concluded those weren’t shielded so I went to the local office supply store and found a set of shielded USB cables. That totally solved it.

That said, at work my wife had a similar problem and it turned out to be her hub. Nothing I tried worked so in the end I replaced the cheap hub with a better one.

Nov 27, 2020 6:42 AM in response to hcsitas

A webcam, external drive for data/media, a drive for backups, a cable for syncing iPad/iPhone, a CD burner, and a printer makes five. That’s not an atypical setup and a power user might easily add more external drives, a label printer etc. and let’s not forget too that being behind the computer those built in ports are inconvenient. The hub makes it easy to plug in a portable drive or thumb drive.

Nov 27, 2020 6:49 AM in response to dwb

Hi there,

In the meanwhile I figured out the reason of the problem:

It's the blueetooth connection.

While I have no idea how to fix I am calling the support the second time now.

The first support guy told me to setup a new user after he couldn't find a way to reset VRAM.

Will provide you feedback :)

Nov 27, 2020 10:18 AM in response to den.thed

It even has bluetooth problems with only the hdmi + power plugged in :(

Spoke to the support, will get a replacement -> after 3 weeks of wait just before Christmas :(

Ordered the Mac mini 16gb just right after the release, needed to wait one more week than the small ones and now need to wait additional 3 weeks -.-

Nov 27, 2020 10:25 AM in response to hcsitas

You need to remind that power users (like I would describe myself) are having an 2nd external display.

So there's only one USB-C left. So I easily get into trouble without any additional hub.

Furthermore I need a hub to read SD-Cards (what's just not possible without an external device/hub)

Beside that I have a Micro-USB for my camera (but you can also assume this as a "webcam-slot"), at least one Lightning-Cable to Charge the iPhone / AirPods / Trackpad / Keyboard, one USB-C to my iPad.

So I would need to change cable with a setup of Lightning (1), USB-C (2), Micro-USB (3), external Monitor (4 > no more slots), SD-Card-Reader (5 -> Need to have a Hub).

I definitely won't switch cables x times a day.

Nov 27, 2020 10:36 AM in response to den.thed

thanks for your kind words.

Really annoying what apple releases recently.

Beginning from the very buggy iOS 13 + iPhone 11, I had the MacBook Pro 16" 2019 Model where fans are starting to run like a jet just when you plug in 2 external 4k monitors, then the iPhone 12 again has lots of laggy behaviours in certain sceaniors, now the mini (okay maybe it's just only mine buggy one) first the time machine backup I installed was enormously buggy, then with a hdmi -> hdmi & usb-c -> hdmi after wakeup the second display wasn't accessible (the mouse didn't want to get out of one display) and in the end this bluetooth bug. Hope that the mini problems are all connected to the same hardware problem, but I am really sad with the last items I bought from apple ( and I had beside the 7s or so any iPhone since the 2g, and buy a new Macbook every 1-2 years and of course more or less any accessory they released :( ... )

Nov 27, 2020 1:18 PM in response to kolwo

kolwo wrote:

thanks for your kind words.

You're welcome.

Really annoying what apple releases recently.
Beginning from the very buggy iOS 13 + iPhone 11, I had the MacBook Pro 16" 2019 Model where fans are starting to run like a jet just when you plug in 2 external 4k monitors, then the iPhone 12 again has lots of laggy behaviours in certain sceaniors, now the mini (okay maybe it's just only mine buggy one) first the time machine backup I installed was enormously buggy, then with a hdmi -> hdmi & usb-c -> hdmi after wakeup the second display wasn't accessible (the mouse didn't want to get out of one display) and in the end this bluetooth bug. Hope that the mini problems are all connected to the same hardware problem, but I am really sad with the last items I bought from apple ( and I had beside the 7s or so any iPhone since the 2g, and buy a new Macbook every 1-2 years and of course more or less any accessory they released :( ... )

Yea' I've always had good experiences with old Mac's, including the Intel iMac's and Mac Mini's. Maybe it's old age or something? But these days, I get a bad feeling when I think about adopting new hardware and software.

Feb 3, 2021 1:55 PM in response to bryonfromwoodstock

Ok guys...problem solved. Bluetooth issues on M1 Mini are totally gone. Works a treat now for 3 days running. Do the update to Big Sur 11.2 right now! And despite hcsitas comments, I have left my 9 port powered USB hub plugged in, as well as a 4TB external drive and webcam, with no interference issues whatsoever! This computer is exceptional.

Magic Keyboard / Trackpad looses connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.