Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bonjour Scanning Problem

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up my new MacBook Pro and have got to the bit where I want to set up my printer. It's a wireless all in one Canon Pixma MP640.

I've managed to connect the printer and get it working using bonjour, but I can't see the scanner element in Image Capture now that I've added the printer to my devices.

I downloaded the app Discovery from the Mac App Store, which shows all available bonjour services, and in the list is _scanner._tpc. (Bonjour Scanning) with the printer listed below.

However from neither the Mac or the printer am I able to send or call a scan. I'm sure it must be doable, but I'm struggling to work out how. Any advice would be greatly received.

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2020 1:37 AM

Having spoken with Apple support, they said it was a Canon driver issue. Canon are no longer supporting the printer so I'm a bit stuck.

Fortunately, I came across VueScan, which reverse engineers old drivers and I'm able to scan using that.

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 3, 2020 1:10 PM in response to barberlives123

Hi,

I followed those steps, and went down the remove and re-add route. The printer showed up twice, one on Bonjour and again as Canon IJ Network. The printer is working fine, but I added both.

When on the Bonjour selected printer, the supply levels show as Information Not Available, however, I can print from this printer.

When on the Canon IJ Network selected printer, I can see the supply levels. I can also print from this printer. This suggests that the connection to the machine is working ok on both connections.

If I open up Image Capture it still returns as no camera or scanner selected, so it looks like it none of those steps have fixed the issue.

Bonjour Scanning Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.