Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to restore iPhone from iTunes backup using iOS 14.2

I recently went from a 12 Pro back to my XS Max, both on iOS 14.2, when I tried to restore my XS Max from the 12 Pro backup on iTunes, it kept giving me this error:

"iTunes cannot restore JC's iPhone, security copy not compatible with iPhone. To restore iPhone with this copy, first update to the latest iOS version".

I no longer have the 12 pro with me, however both phones are on iOS 14.2 and no update is available on the XS Max... so I'm stuck with this error and pretty much lost all my data since I don't use iCloud.

I'm using iTunes on a Windows 10 1709 version PC (latest iTunes version from Microsoft store), I tried updating Windows, iTunes and restarting both PC and iPhone.

Any help would be much appreciated...

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 8:00 AM

You will have to wait for an iOS update that is greater than iOS 14.2.1. At this stage, only iPhone 12 models received this update.

Do you have any other backups that you could restore from instead?

More information about software updates are here:

Apple security updates – Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies

Unable to restore iPhone from iTunes backup using iOS 14.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.