Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to quit Photo App to change images in Catalina?

19,1 iMac, Catalina 10.15.7, Photos App Version 5.0 (161.0.120): Why does Photos App refuse to close images I edit? I have to quit Apple Photos to change images. To open an image I double click it to view full screen, then click edit to work on it, double click to close the image, and NOTHING HAPPENS. I have to quit Apple Books.

Is there any pref file I can trash? Do I need to trash Photos app and reinstall? What the heck is happening?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 26, 2020 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2020 3:52 AM

Have you checked the keyboard shortcuts for Photos? Keyboard shortcuts and gestures in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

If you select a thumbnail and hit return, it will take you directly to the Edit mode.

Hitting the spacebar to close the photo should take you out of Edit mode without having to use the Done button, also hitting Return. You can step between photos while remaining in Edit mode with the arrow keys. If you enable "View > Thumbnails", you will be seeing a strip of thumbnails below the edit window and can use them to navigate between photos without having to close the editor.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2020 3:52 AM in response to blackxacto

Have you checked the keyboard shortcuts for Photos? Keyboard shortcuts and gestures in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

If you select a thumbnail and hit return, it will take you directly to the Edit mode.

Hitting the spacebar to close the photo should take you out of Edit mode without having to use the Done button, also hitting Return. You can step between photos while remaining in Edit mode with the arrow keys. If you enable "View > Thumbnails", you will be seeing a strip of thumbnails below the edit window and can use them to navigate between photos without having to close the editor.

Why do I have to quit Photo App to change images in Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.