Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Air "Missing USB Class Driver" when trying to print to Dymo 4xl

I can print wirelessly to my Epson printer with no issues. I downloaded the latest Dymo USB driver 8.7.5 that is supposedly compatible with Big Sur.

I go through the installation and it seems to work fine. The Mac recognizes the Dymo 4xl printer in the print utility. When I try to print directly via a USB connection (no hub) the error message on the print dialog reads "Missing USB Class Driver" and nothing will print.

Here's what I have tried to so far to troubleshoot:

Reset the entire printer system

Rebooted after drive install

Deleted Dymo drive and tried reinstall.

Any help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 11:36 AM

Same problem. DYMO responded to my inquiry on Nov. 19, 2020 with "The error message is because our software is not compatible with the M1 processors, the developers are working on a compatible driver but we do not have any confirmed date of releasing that driver."

I use the DYMO to print shipping 4x6 labels so had to switch to alternative brand (wireless capability).

82 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 11:36 AM in response to pompie

Same problem. DYMO responded to my inquiry on Nov. 19, 2020 with "The error message is because our software is not compatible with the M1 processors, the developers are working on a compatible driver but we do not have any confirmed date of releasing that driver."

I use the DYMO to print shipping 4x6 labels so had to switch to alternative brand (wireless capability).

Nov 30, 2020 9:38 AM in response to pompie

I don't have this printer, so I can't replicate this nor can I test any possible solutions... BUT: This sounds like it might be related to the change in Big Sur that blocks Kernel Extensions that use USB or Networking.

There might be a workaround, though, by booting into Recovery (by holding down Power when starting up your M1 Mac and choosing Options), and then going into the Startup Security Utility and enabling “Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers” (all details available at https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-startup-disk-security-settings-a-mac-mchl768f7291/mac ).

Nov 30, 2020 8:08 AM in response to pompie

Same problem here. I called apple tech support and was told to reinstall my operating system, which was a giant pain since I had just got everything the way I wanted it. I did so, still having the same issue. I was told to bring the computer in to run a diagnostic. As my MacBook Pro is currently sent out for service due to a battery recall and I had to buy this computer to get my small business through the busiest time of year, the fact that my label printer is not working and I have no time for more service trips is incredibly frustrating. Not too pleased with apple at the moment. Desperately awaiting a fix.

Dec 3, 2020 11:50 AM in response to pompie

Glad I am not the only one. I got the M1 on day one only because my previous mac died 2 days before. I use multiple dymo printers for my business, and after contacting Dymo I was essentially told 'well, we know it doesn't work, oh well'. I am using my daughters computer to print labels for my company, its awesome. Another stated it worked initially and then didn't, I noticed the same thing with my 3.0 usb hub. I used it to upload a time machine backup, and then after updating, wallah, 3.0 accessories no longer work and had to buy 3.1. Apple....... you are frustrating.

Dec 5, 2020 11:05 AM in response to pompie

I've been dealing with DYMO issues like this ever since they first made their software available on a Mac. Don't hold your breath while waiting on DYMO to release a new version of the LabelWriter software for Mac. If it's like the past, it will take them months. I finally reached the end of my rope with this and I'll have the satisfaction of tossing my LabelWriter 450 Twin Turbo into a lake and buying a Brother label printer which works fine with the M1 MacBook.

FWIW, Apple gave developers way more time to get ready for M1 and Big Sur than in any previous macOS beta...I know because I was on the developer beta. This is DYMO's problem...not Apple's. Same applies for several other high-visibility macOS apps that don't work with the M1. Most were just too lazy to make the switch to a universal app in time for the M1 release date.

Dec 5, 2020 3:07 PM in response to P28ADriver

My wireless Epson works great. Right now I am using my old Mac as a print server for the Dymo. There are other label printers out there, but I think it would be important to check compatibility prior to switching. I expect Dymo will get a driver update...eventually.

Does anyone have the Dymo support email so we could all hammer them about this?

Dec 7, 2020 6:32 AM in response to pompie

Same exact problem here. Was on the phone with apple support for hours. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling so many times. If i completely remove everything and reinstall, i can get it to print one label. As soon as i unplug or restart the computer, all of the problems begin. I also tried safe mode and reinstalling the OS. Super frustrating considering my entire business revolves around shipping items. Good luck to all with this issue!

Dec 7, 2020 10:20 AM in response to pompie

Looking into a new label printer as well with all the dymo issues but honestly, I having trouble with all but one of my printers (I have 4 for different uses) also issues with my mouse and keyboard, I have to keep unplugging and plugging everything back in and deleting the printers then reinstalling just to print one **** thing. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m honestly thinking the M1 is not remotely worth the hassle, probably going back. I spoke to Apple support, they had me reinstall the whole OS and when that didn’t fix it, they said I need to bring this brand new computer in for service— again, not worth it.

Dec 7, 2020 10:26 AM in response to Artem8787

@Artem8787 - This is a known issue. I have the M1 MacBook and the M1 mini and the issue is with Bluetooth connectivity. 1-3 times a day on both machines I have to restart, which then works fine for a few hours. Affects the keyboard, mouse and trackpad. If you Google it, you'll see what I mean. Apple is surely going to fix this ASAP - I'd guess the first update, which is currently in Developer Beta 2 right now. The M1 is way too nice a machine to go back to Intel. Wait it out...you'll be happy in the end.

Dec 8, 2020 11:22 AM in response to pompie

I've had the same issue with my M1 Macbook pro, I receive the same message with my PIXMA ip2700 series printer. When I called apple support, I was told to unistall/reinstall the drivers. Then led to reinstall big sur, which failed to reinstall leaving me with no functioning device. my printer is connected via USB.

strangely, i managed to print one page after installing the driver and restarting but quickly went back to "error".

M1 MacBook Air "Missing USB Class Driver" when trying to print to Dymo 4xl

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.