Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Can't Drag & Drop Files Across Spaces with Trackpad

Hi, before Big Sur, I can use one finger to press on the trackpad and hold a file, while I use another four fingers to swipe between spaces to move the file around. After Big Sur update, I can't do that. Anyone having this issue as well?

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 5:59 PM

122 replies

Sep 4, 2021 1:38 AM in response to JaytheStupid

edit 4/09: did you try this solution below? I applied it and it worked perfectly and it keeps working perfectly!

Jun 30, 2021 6:05 PM in response to KazukiCHEN

Dear Mac-users,

My Mac: 1 week old, MacBook Air M1 chip (so not the pro version)

I had this problem too and tried to solve it by rebooting, force quit/relaunch Finder, etc.

This is the solution to solve this issue permanently:

settings/trackpad > tab “point and click” > untick the first box “searching and datadetection”

Once I had done this, drag and drop was no longer an issue, works perfect all the time.

Hope it helps (it should!)

Good luck!

Jan 6, 2021 9:40 AM in response to enbecker5

On mac 11.1 macbookpro 2020 this works: You have to go to system pref>accessibility>pointer

control>mouse & trackpad>trackpad options>check enable

dragging and the you have a choice of option that replaced the click and

drag it became tap twice + hold and drag and let go or use 3 fingers,

tap (not click) hold and slide... https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/unac899/mac

Jan 9, 2021 12:14 PM in response to KazukiCHEN

From what I understood, in Big Sur the way to drag and drop has changed a tad.

You have to go to system pref>accessibility>pointer

control>mouse & trackpad>trackpad options>check enable

dragging and the you have a choice of option that replaced the click and

drag it became tap twice + hold and drag and let go or use 3 fingers,

tap (not click) hold and slide... https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/unac899/mac

Jul 20, 2021 11:15 PM in response to OccasionCaucasian

Dear Mac-users,

I had this problem too and tried to solve it by rebooting, force quit/relaunch Finder, etc.

settings/trackpad > tab “point and click” > untick the first box “searching and datadetection”

Once I had done this, drag and drop was no longer an issue, works perfect all the time.

Good luck!

:

Jul 31, 2021 10:37 PM in response to PMacLady

Dear Mac-users,

Good luck!

May 26, 2021 6:35 AM in response to KazukiCHEN

Here’s an update.

• I tried all the options for dragging: 3 fingers, w/ and w/o lock and nothing worked.
  • I called Apple, got a knowledge Tech, screen-shared and showed him what was happening. He had not seen it before but agreed he should report it.
  • I updated to the latest Big Sur version, screen sharing with the Tech, tested again and it was still broken.
  • We did further testing and saw that some folders worked, whether they were Aliases or original and some didn’t.
  • Conclusion: some folders and aliases (not all) created awhile ago on my second MacBook Pro running Mojave (I have the two computers synced across through iCloud) were broken in Big Sur. I’m in the process of deleting old aliases and creating new ones to make all uniform. It seems to be working.
  • Last note: even with the drag and drop problem I could drag and drop 1- if I opened the folder first; 2- if I dragged and dropped within the Documents Folder.

Hopes this info helps.

Dec 3, 2020 8:45 AM in response to KazukiCHEN

I have been having the same issue, in the past I just drag and drop like normal. Now somehow the screen seems to get stuck or something when swiping to another application. For me for example finder in a full size window, move a file over to a full size chrome window. Or from desktop to whatsapp and I cant seem to push it to the correct conversation. Really annoying.

Big Sur Can't Drag & Drop Files Across Spaces with Trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.