Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UPS delivery fee scam text

I bought a new iphone on Black Friday and I'm waiting for the delivery.

I got a text from UPS and it said to pay a delivery fee.

============

A P P L E;

Dear **my name**

a delivery fee of 3.50$ still requires payment.

**URL including 'upspackage'**

===========

Since it says FREE on Apple, I called Apple CS and found out it is a scam.

But how they get information of my name, phone number and purchase from Apple?

Today is Nov 29, so they could guess I bought something from Apple.

But my name and phone number? I'm afraid there is some information leaked.

Please tell me if somebody is in the same situation.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 6:04 PM

I'm in the exact same situation currently, I received the text and without thinking I put in my banking information etc. Now i'm worried that someone might clear my bank account! If you find out any other information i'd love to know.

30 replies

Dec 1, 2020 6:17 PM in response to cawaiidian

Oh no. It is most likely a scam.

I called Apple and CS told me it should not be UPS's job.

You can call Apple and UPS to verify it but I recommend you to check your bank account asap.

***Update***

I asked this question on Reddit too.

Many comments said that my info should have leaked from my e-mail account.

I also remembered I had got many scams on the phone.

They know my name if they heard my voice message.

Dec 1, 2020 6:43 PM in response to helpme1129

I had almost the same thing. I purchased mac on November 29 and am waiting for delivery. I received a ups text this afternoon on december 01 from someone claiming to be UPS asking to pay a deliver fee.

same as yours except the fee was 3.80$. My delivery is to a city east of toronto ontario canada.

I did not contact apple as i figured it was a scam, I have had other parcels delivered by ups and they always send me an invoice or indicate on the tracking that a fee is payable. I clicked on the link and it had a ups watermark and all it did was ask for my name an card number nothing else no other identifying information. It had to be a scam. No company would just ask you for your name and credit card company without any identifying form and I always question anything I get through email or text or any other electronic avenue asking for personal information.

I suspect somewhere in the distribution chain there is some leak of information and it gets into the scammers hands. First of all, apple says free delivery so I do not expect any fee from a company like apple no matter how nominal. UPS will still deliver a package requiring a fee, they will bill you later for it. They used to collect it at the door but during the pandemic, they will send you and invoice. Unfortunately, there might be some people getting scammed fearing they will not get their product delivered if they do not pay.

Dec 1, 2020 8:04 PM in response to helpme1129

I did click the link but only to see what it said. It was super basic, it had the ups label as a watermark, sort of greyed out and a couple of super stupid questions enter your full name , enter your card number it says 1Full name, 2 card number, 3 expiration, 4 security code 5 date of birth and then you have to press enter. Actually that is pretty obvious its a scam as they have absolutely no other information on it. Plus what company asks for your date of birth ? when you are paying by credit card who asks for your date of birth. Plus there are no payment options, like pay pal and stuff like that. Its really obviously a phishing ploy to capture credit card numbers and identities. Plus apple is sending free delivery, why would there only be a 3.50 or 3.80 charge. Its only purpose is to capture your personal information. Be glad that you did not provide your personal information. It looks like all they have is a first name and a phone number. It could be a coincidence that we were targeted as I would imagine a lot of people are ordering apple products at this point in time. It may not have anything to do with our actual order.

Dec 2, 2020 8:25 AM in response to cawaiidian

if you filled out the phishing form in full, then I would call the bank and freeze your credit card. I am not sure but I think they could do some damage if you also included your birth date in the transaction. If I were you I would call the bank and ask for some advice on the situation before it is too late. I had a credit card compromised earlier this year and the bank kept trying to say that I must have forgotten that I made certain purchases and it took me a bit for them to confirm that the charges were not done by me. So I would not wait for something to show up and be proactive and call your bank. If you charged your apple item to the same credit card the bank will allow that as a valid charge before they reissue a new card with a different number.

Dec 2, 2020 8:38 AM in response to retlawv1

When I first opened my bank account I was sent a replacement card as well. Lastnight after coming to the realization it was a scam, I went and activated my replacement card so the one I was using would deactivate. I tested purchases using the now old card and it was declining saying the card is expired.. So far thankfully nothing's been taken out of my accounts and I hope I was able to catch it in time. Will be checking the bank periodically for the next little while.

Dec 3, 2020 9:47 AM in response to helpme1129

I too am located in Toronto and have recently bought an iPhone on line and received a phishing text the day before delivery, purportedly from Apple asking for a fee of 3.80$ (sic) to be sent to a URL beginning with upsdelivery.

This text tells me that some 3rd party has my name, my cellphone number, and knows I am expecting a delivery via UPS of a device from Apple. Like another poster I could not figure out how they got this information but as someone here has noted it is all on the delivery box. I looked and sure enough its all there. Looks to me like someone at UPS has soldout to the dark side and is leaking the information to phishing black hats.

Dec 4, 2020 5:51 PM in response to helpme1129

Same scam, same situation, and I have multiple purchases from Black Friday, each on a different delivery schedule and a text is coming in for each delivery. It must be an internal hack at UPS. It also seems to be a Canadian problem, my purchases are being shipped to BC, probably from Ontario. The scammers know I have UPS parcels coming, they know my phone number, they know my name. UPS has a rat.

Dec 27, 2020 11:24 PM in response to Attif375

Its a phishing scam, do not fill in the form. When you do get your apple package check the address on the outside of the package it will have your full name and your phone number. The information is collected somewhere after apple ships it in the transport to before it gets to you. It is somehow collected along the way. If you fill in the form you will be giving them all the information they require to scam you out of money. The package has your name and phone number on it and the rest of the information is your credit card and date of birth. If you bought something from a company since when do you have to put in your date of birth ? Do not fall for this crap. Apple provides total free shipping and in no way do you have to pay anything extra.

Dec 30, 2020 10:04 AM in response to Phissshed

the problem is that your name and phone number is on the shipping label. Easy for someone to pick that up and text you. They need to change it so that your phone number is not on the shipping label or encoded in a way that it is not easy to visually. I would imagine a package travels through a bunch of hands before it gets to its destination and somewhere in that distribution someone is scanning the labels. Since everyone is desperate to get their apple products, someone asking for a small amount would seem insignificant to someone buying able products but it is not about paying a couple of dollars but its all about stealing your financial information. Plus they have the nerve to ask for your birthdate. So if you fill out their form they end up with your name, your phone number and your address found on the shipping label, plus your credit card information and and your date of birth. Apple needs to change their shipping policy and exclude the phone number on the shipping label.

UPS delivery fee scam text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.