Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.0.1 crashes all the time because of /usr/libexec/remoted

Since upgrading to Big Sur my Mac experience is miserable. The system will crash several times per day and it's absolutely related to Big Sur, I had no problems with Catalina.

Early indicators of a crash:

• Wifi connectivity is lost or no IP address is assigned through DHCP using same networks as with Catalina.
  • Wifi cannot be turned off to be reset.
  • Wifi settings are blank (Network settings are non-existant).
  • With lost wifi connectivity, mouse pointer gets stucked on the spinning wheel.

All crashes are related to /usr/libexec/remoted as reported by Console. This is a sample error report, all are quite identical:

I know I can downgrade to Catalina but I don't want to expend hours going through the hassle.

Thanks a lot

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 12:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 3:18 PM

Exact Same issue - four times today so far, several times over the past week. Wi-Fi essentially goes dead, then trackpad becomes unresponsive, then reboot. Often happens again shortly after reboot. Each time remoted showing in both crash reports and spin reports.

2020 MacBook Pro 13" - I'm mentioning this because there is a systemic issue with the 2020 MacBook Pro 13 which I'm also experiencing noted here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251654275?answerId=254039612022 - hopefully this isn't a similar problem with the model.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 3:18 PM in response to javierinho

Exact Same issue - four times today so far, several times over the past week. Wi-Fi essentially goes dead, then trackpad becomes unresponsive, then reboot. Often happens again shortly after reboot. Each time remoted showing in both crash reports and spin reports.

2020 MacBook Pro 13" - I'm mentioning this because there is a systemic issue with the 2020 MacBook Pro 13 which I'm also experiencing noted here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251654275?answerId=254039612022 - hopefully this isn't a similar problem with the model.

Dec 1, 2020 8:10 AM in response to javierinho

For what it's worth, I had the MBP checked by local Genius Bar. The guy removed all Apple preferences (/Users/user/Library/preferences/com.apple.*) and switched off Firevault. None of these proved to remedy the issue.

It's sure a wifi thing, I've been working all day through wired ethernet without a hassle. Again, the wifi-related crashes are a Bug Sur thing, Catalina was just perfect.

Dec 27, 2020 5:46 AM in response to TeaGuy1064

I recently installed Big Sur 11.1 from scratch on my MacPro, I was previously running Catalina. 

After less than a week, I started having the same issue, which shows up in CONSOLE Crash Reports:

Termination Reason:    WATCHDOG, [0x1] monitoring timed out for service

Termination Details:   WATCHDOG, checkin with service: remoted returned not alive with context:

For me, the problem always appears at boot with an early and odd first message asking for my Time Machine password. After hanging there for less than a minute, the message disappears and sequence continues with Little Snitch (5.0.4), Bitdefender, 1Password, etc.

Little Snitch developpers posted a pre-release version 5.1 nightly 6169. The release note mentioned about an issue with Time Machine, so I upgraded it. Unfortunately it did not fix the issues. The problem is still there with the same symptoms. To note that I have the same issue when booting as Administrator and as Standard User. 

If the problem becomes more serious, I will uninstall Little Snitch.

Big Sur 11.0.1 crashes all the time because of /usr/libexec/remoted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.