Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wincloned bootcamp partition not booting in legacy mode

Hi everyone

I have been trying to install windows 8.1 on my late 2011 Macbook pro without the optical drive (Its broken) I tried different methods but all to no avail. Finally after more googling I came to the conclusion to clone my previous HDD bootcamp partition with Winclone software.

The problem is that after a successful clone (claimed by Winclone obviously LOL) the Bootcamp partition doesn't boot in legacy mode (showing me No bootable device found Insert a floppy disk and .....) BUT if I change the boot mode to EFI, windows boots up and everything works except that the sound driver wont work.

From what I gather my mac doesn't support EFI booting and I have to make the window boot in legacy mode.

This is a screenshot of my diskutil list:

I would really really appreciate any help on how to make my already installed windows bootable in legacy mode.

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 6:55 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

wincloned bootcamp partition not booting in legacy mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.