Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.WebKit.Networking (Safari Networking) process caught in an error loop/hang

I have recently encountered intermittent cases of the Safari Networking (com.apple.Webkit.Networking) process suddenly consuming unusually high power and CPU percentages on a continuing basis until I force quit the process in Activity Monitor. I haven't been able to reliably replicate the loop/hang but it seems to be related to opening or closing at least some Safari web tabs or pages.

I first notice it when my 2019 16" MacBook Pro fans unexpectedly ramp up from ~1,800 to >3,500 rpm, system power consumption jumps from ~25w to 50-60w (iStat Menus data) and Activity Monitor shows "Safari Networking" at 100%+ CPU (single core?) usage. Once Safari Networking ramps up, it stays at these levels until I force quit the process, after which it automatically restarts and settles down to more normal CPU usage - until the next time. This happens several times a day and I have left it running in a high CPU usage state for more than 20 minutes before resorting to the force quit. Neither restarting Safari nor rebooting the MacBook seem to resolve the issue.

I am running Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 and Safari 14.0.1. Note that 1) I have encountered the issue both with and without my 3 Safari extensions enabled and 2) I do not use Safari to save or autofill password/login data, preferring 1Password to handle that chore.

Examining the console logs during the loop/hang shows one of the two following error messages being written to the Console log multiple times per second until a process force quit:

error 13:49:06.721376-0700 com.apple.WebKit.Networking Failed to remove registration data from records table (6922) - <private>

or

error 10:18:53.925329-0700 com.apple.WebKit.Networking Failed to store registration data into records table (6922) - <private>

This sounds like it could be a file permissions or corruption issue, but where does Safari keep apparently open tab/site "registration data" in a "records table"?

Given the intermittent nature of the issue, I have not tried booting into Safe Mode until I can determine a way to reliably trigger the problem. My next step is to download and run the current Catalina Combo Updater. I'll update this note if that resolves the issue but I welcome any insight from others that might steer me in the right direction.

Rick

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 8:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 11:32 AM

Do you happen to use Cookie by SweetP Productions? There's a thread on their site about this issue as well.

I fiddled with my settings and now Safari Networking stopped spinning up. In particular I turned off all Timer Options even though I didn't have the "Removal Options" set to go off on a schedule (only on Quit, Browser Quit, and wake-from sleep). I've now turned off the wake-from-sleep option for removal as well.

All I know for certain is it hasn't been a problem since I changed my Cookie settings.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 11:32 AM in response to CyclingMac

Do you happen to use Cookie by SweetP Productions? There's a thread on their site about this issue as well.

I fiddled with my settings and now Safari Networking stopped spinning up. In particular I turned off all Timer Options even though I didn't have the "Removal Options" set to go off on a schedule (only on Quit, Browser Quit, and wake-from sleep). I've now turned off the wake-from-sleep option for removal as well.

All I know for certain is it hasn't been a problem since I changed my Cookie settings.

Dec 17, 2020 10:40 AM in response to Colin Foster

Colin,

Thanks for the pointer to Cookie. I do use Cookie, but hadn't tumbled to it as a possible factor. I visited their site and unchecked "Cache" from the "unwanted data" and "timer options" panes as suggested by "CaptainProton" in their forum. It's now been a full day without Safari Networking spinning up. My "Removal Options" are set to Quit, Browser Quit, & At Login. I likewise unchecked "wake from sleep".

I also had been experiencing the reCaptcha failure issue in Safari that was mentioned in a separate Cookie forum thread. My changes above seem to have fixed that also. Previously, I had been temporarily disabling "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking" in Safari's preferences.

Thanks again for responding and pointing me in what appears so far to be the right direction.

Rick

Dec 17, 2020 11:04 AM in response to Colin Foster

👍 I will try re-enabling Cache clearance in "Unwanted Data" in a few days if all remains stable in the interim. Disabling "On Wake from Sleep" may also have been a factor since waking from sleep would clear the cache of open tabs if Safari remained open.

I'm also considering upgrading to Big Sur now that 11.1 is out but likely will hold of on that for a bit longer also...

Rick

com.apple.WebKit.Networking (Safari Networking) process caught in an error loop/hang

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.