Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keystrokes sometimes don't appear immediately after pressing them.

Hello everybody. I've been having this issue on my MacBook Pro (2019) after updating it to Big Sur, and it has made my job writing codes a living ****.

To elaborate on the issue, lets say that I'm writing the word "Birds" and I press the letters "B", "i", "r", what happens sometimes is that only "Bi" would appear on the screen (no matter how long I wait for the "r" to appear) and to get the letter "r" to appear I would need to write the next letter in the word. So pressing the "d" key would now make the word go from "Bi" to "Bird". Now, this means that the "r" key stroke was indeed registered, and that the memory did feel it, but that it for some reason did not appear on the screen.

Another example of this issue is when I wanted to change the title for this very post! I pressed Command + A to select the entirety of the title, but nothing showed as selected. However, upon pressing on any of the keys on my keyboard, the title got highlighted and that new key that I'd just pressed was shown on the screen. So, it again, is clear that the Command + A did arrive to the memory, but that it was not displayed on the screen until another key stroke came in.

This issue has been happening in some applications, and not all. It does happen in Safari, but not always. Although on some website this issue is amplified and more noticeable to the point of rendering some websites useless. The following is a list of applications where I can notice this issue:

• Safari (mostly when using Overleaf)
  • In the Terminal app.
  • In Visual Studio Code
  • In Visual Studio for Mac

I've personally tried a number of the solutions posted online. The following are the things that I've tried but did not work:

• Cleaning the NVRAM and the PRAM
  • Booting in safe mode and then restarting the device
  • Installing cleaning software like CleanMyMac to clean the Mac

The only app where this issue does not happen is the Notes app. Now im not sure what the cause of this issue, but I would hope that anybody here would please help me get rid of this issue because it has made typing a living **** for me.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 8:36 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 2, 2020 8:52 AM in response to OA_07

OA_07 wrote:

• Hello everybody. I've been having this issue on my MacBook Pro (2019) after updating it to Big Sur, and it has made my job writing codes a living ****.

To elaborate on the issue, lets say that I'm writing the word "Birds" and I press the letters "B", "i", "r", what happens sometimes is that only "Bi" would appear on the screen (no matter how long I wait for the "r" to appear) and to get the letter "r" to appear I would need to write the next letter in the word. So pressing the "d" key would now make the word go from "Bi" to "Bird". Now, this means that the "r" key stroke was indeed registered, and that the memory did feel it, but that it for some reason did not appear on the screen.

Another example of this issue is when I wanted to change the title for this very post! I pressed Command + A to select the entirety of the title, but nothing showed as selected. However, upon pressing on any of the keys on my keyboard, the title got highlighted and that new key that I'd just pressed was shown on the screen. So, it again, is clear that the Command + A did arrive to the memory, but that it was not displayed on the screen until another key stroke came in.

This issue has been happening in some applications, and not all. It does happen in Safari, but not always. Although on some website this issue is amplified and more noticeable to the point of rendering some websites useless. The following is a list of applications where I can notice this issue:
Safari (mostly when using Overleaf)
• In the Terminal app.
• In Visual Studio Code
• In Visual Studio for Mac
I've personally tried a number of the solutions posted online. The following are the things that I've tried but did not work:
Cleaning the NVRAM and the PRAM
• Booting in safe mode and then restarting the device
• Installing cleaning software like CleanMyMac to clean the Mac

The only app where this issue does not happen is the Notes app. Now im not sure what the cause of this issue, but I would hope that anybody here would please help me get rid of this issue because it has made typing a living **** for me.

<CleanMyMac> this is garbage and will only add issues.

It begs the question what else have you might installed—

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro ...

if your issue continues see if you qualify: https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

Dec 2, 2020 9:52 AM in response to leroydouglas

Well this was one of the things that had been recommended by people online.

As mentioned in the post, it seems like this isn't quite a keyboard issue. The key strokes seem to register and they arrive at the memory. I feel like had this been a keyboard issue, then the keystrokes would not be resisted in the memory and their effect would not be felt after the next key is hit. I'm somewhat certain that this isn't a keyboard issue.

Keystrokes sometimes don't appear immediately after pressing them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.