Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone ringer volume is going up by itself

My volume keeps going up all the time. It started after I updated to iOS 14.2 for my work iPhone 6s. Now it goes up by itself all the time. I have restarted my phone many times and it keeps going up, even after I physically turn it down. It typically happens right after a phone call; the ringer will automatically adjust all the way up. There are times however that it will do it after I lock it. I have taken the case off it, I have cleaned around all the buttons, and I have kept the settings the same as before I updated it. What can I do??

iPhone 6s

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 6:05 AM

Same. iOS 14.3 on iPhone 12. It doesn’t matter what volume my ringer was set to- in the morning my alarm goes off full blast. It makes for a terrible wake-up bc 1) it’s too loud, and 2) it gives me anxiety about waking up my wife, too.

FIX THIS.

53 replies

Jan 16, 2021 2:36 AM in response to dj_jake_audio

I have something to say to Apple:

Can you just solve this issue? otherwise it is pointless to have this - Change with Buttons feature build in. Obviously this is a bug, just solve it. Change with Buttons is useful coz I can adjust the volume as and when also the level of the volume. Please don't create more disapointment to you long loyal users here.

Jan 21, 2021 6:37 AM in response to dstudz

YES! This. Is. Awful.

Primary complaint for me is my alarm ringing at 100%, which is NOT a pleasant way to wake up!!!

Fault started after updating to iOS14.3 (although admittedly I skipped a few updates, as the 13.7 update wrecked my music). I have checked all my settings & whatnot. Cannot identify a particular trigger, and occasionally it will refrain from blasting me out of bed on max volume. But randomly and without warning, it'll go back to 100% loud.

If this is a software bug, FIX IT, PLEASE!!!

Jan 21, 2021 4:37 AM in response to dstudz

It happens to my iPhone SE too. When I'm connected on my Apple Earpods or a regular bluetooth device and using my Whatsapp, for every message I receive or send, the beep sound comes and immediately I see the Ringer volume of my iPhone going up. I turned off the option "Change with buttons" on settings. Now, it's worse. The ringer volume goes up to its fullest even without any signs or notification on the display. My friend with the 12 pro max with same ios version does not have such issues. Its forcing me to keep my iPhone on silent mode most of the time.

Jan 4, 2021 2:14 AM in response to dstudz

Jan2021. same issue with alert sounds arbitrarily increasing to full volume. i’m on an iPhone Xs and iOS 14.3 but it’s only started happening within the past week. i’ve done nothing that would have caused a change and i cannot seem to find any consistency in use or timing that prompts the issue.

oddly, my two teens also have a problem with the alert volume on their Xr models with 14.3 but their volume decreases to all the way down, meaning silent.

Jan 4, 2021 9:41 PM in response to dstudz

As info...

On or about January 2, 2021 my iPhone 6s+ started increasing its ringer volume on its own after I hang up from a call. I am running iOS 14.3. This is very annoying since I like to keep my ringer volume very low.

My temporary fix for this odd malfunction was to go to SETTINGS, SOUNDS, and turn off "Change With Buttons" and then set my ringer volume low with the Ringer and Alerts slider.

Now when a call comes in (I answer and then hang up) iOS tries to increase ringer volume but fails.

Jan 19, 2021 11:17 AM in response to dstudz

Add me to the list. My phone keeps jacking the ringer volume all the way up without me doing anything. It startles me when I get a call and I've been embarrassed by it in public more than once. I thought I was doing something wrong till I saw this thread. I'm running 14.3 on a 12pro.

I also have the Lock Screen sound issue that has been bugging other customers.

Jan 9, 2021 2:41 PM in response to dstudz

same issue. I am using iPhone 11 Pro. mine used to happen after disconnecting WhatsApp/FaceTime audio calls mainly. at first I wasn't bothered by it since it rarely occurred. But since the last few days, it happens after every internet call.

This only happens when I am using the phone i.e this doesn't happen if I get a missed WhatsApp/FaceTime audio call, for now.

Jan 16, 2021 7:55 AM in response to karma.kahana

Same over here, I have the XS that has lived it’s whole life in a case and has been taken very good care of. I’ve noticed within the last week or two that my ringer is going all the way up randomly while my boyfriend has the XR and his regular volume is always getting turned down to silent. I hope they fix it soon. We’re both in the beta program so hopefully it’s just a bug in this new beta.

Jan 20, 2021 6:32 AM in response to Apple4JWal

I have also been having this issue for a few weeks now. My ringtone will be maxed out overnight on its own and I will wake up to an alarm tone at full blast.

This is also on top of the bug that I am not receiving some iMessage notifications.

Apple really needs to fix their software before releasing it. Maybe some quality control..?

Jan 21, 2021 1:06 AM in response to dstudz

Same here. Been happening for a few weeks. Ringer and alert volume is down where I want it but my alarm the next morning goes off at full volume. Haven’t changed any of these settings in years. I was just texting my cousin, and the first “sent” sound was normal volume, but the very next one was full volume—and they were only seconds apart. It happened right in front of me that time. APPLE. THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE AT THIS POINT. PLEASE FIX IT.

Jan 23, 2021 12:01 PM in response to dstudz

I discovered it happens when my phone (iPhone 8 running 14.3) is connected to Bluetooth and I text or use the keyboard. If not connected to BT, then it never happens, only when texting with BT connected. Turning off the "change with buttons" seems to alleviate it but then I can't adjust the ringer volume easily. Apple, you need to fix this.

My iPhone ringer volume is going up by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.