Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio draggin instead of stretching

Hi dear community!

I am an iMovie beginner, editing my last video was really easy! This is my second video, and I added extra audio files. First I cropped the audio to exactly the part I needed and then I tried to move the audio by dragging it, but instead of dragging, the audio stretched back to all the audio I cropped :(

Also when this audio is stretched longer then the audio time, some audio parts are even repeated and start over when the audio has ended....

I tried to find instructions or videos but I couldn't find anyone with the same problem, anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong??

Thank you in advance! :)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 12:22 PM

Hi, mae-yin,

To drag your audio clip, place your cursor somewhere in the clip other than on the edge, and, while pressing down, slide the clip along the timeline.

Try expanding your timeline with the slider located above the timeline to the right. That often helps when working with audio clips.

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 12:22 PM in response to mae-yin

Hi, mae-yin,

To drag your audio clip, place your cursor somewhere in the clip other than on the edge, and, while pressing down, slide the clip along the timeline.

Try expanding your timeline with the slider located above the timeline to the right. That often helps when working with audio clips.

-- Rich

Dec 3, 2020 3:07 PM in response to mae-yin

I cannot replicate the issue that you describe. I added an audio clip to a project and trimmed the clip at the beginning and end. When I dragged the clip the wave forms shifted around. However, after I dragged the clip and then played it from beginning to end my trims were preserved just where I made them.

Since that isn't happening in your situation, try deleting preferences. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project. Now see if your sound clips are playing properly.

Another thing that you can try is to create a new project and do your project there to see if that cures the problem.

-- Rich

audio draggin instead of stretching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.