Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent song metadata from changing in iTunes/Win10?

iTunes ver 12.11 / Windows10 current as of 12/3/2020. I am not subscribed to Apple Music (yet) or iTunes Match.

Years ago I ripped my CD of the album "Let It Bleed" into iTunes. For both Artist and Album Artist, I put "Rolling Stones" (as that's how they put it on the record sleeve). Now when I play a song from that Album, it disappears. It reappears as a new song by Artist "The Rolling Stones", not "Rolling Stones". Further, the song "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (oh the irony) now has two copies, one as Artist "The Rolling Stones" and another as Artist "Doris Troy/London Bach Choir/Madeline Bell/Nanette Newman/The Rolling Stones". All the Preferences relating to "cede control of my library to the internet" remain off. Same on the Windows side for Windows Media Player (which shows nothing in its library anyway), or for Groove Music (likewise). Clearly Apple has been changing "Artist Photos" in my library to something artist approved for some time now. Short of disconnecting my computer from the internet is there anything I can do to prevent metadata from being surreptitiously changed?

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 11:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 10:39 AM

See Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows - Apple Community and the section regarding iTunes Store purchases.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 4, 2020 11:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks! Going through your "permissions" steps did something (I could see a whole mess of files being rapidly processed) and after closing and re-opening iTunes I was able to change the song info back to how I want it and have those changes persist. Still have no idea how it picked up the "Doris Troy/London Bach Choir/Madeline Bell/Nanette Newman/The Rolling Stones" Artist info but that is now moot (though I do appreciate their contributions to that song).

How do I prevent song metadata from changing in iTunes/Win10?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.