Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 12 volume buttons not functionning

I have noticed that after using my iphone 12 to control music on my homepod mini, my volume buttons won't work on any application (phone, netflix...). They will only control the homepod mini even if this one is not playing.

In order to get the buttons back I need to restart the iphone.

Is ther a fix?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 2:01 AM

Well now I have say the update did NOT solve the problem.

Unfortunately it happened again yesterday.

As soon as you use the iPhone to control the Homepod it swithches the volume control buttons of the iPhone to control the Homepods and it never comes back to controlling the iPhone 😤

72 replies

Dec 20, 2020 2:52 AM in response to Audiopostal

We have 2x IPhone 11 and the HomePod (not Mini).

It is the same situation, once connected through AirPlay we can control the HomePod but the software is not allowing to regain control of the IPhone volume buttons.

This feels like a software bug where the HomePod keeps the controls or the method to regain the control on the IPhone is running into an issue and keeps the now NEW Default values (HomePod).

Unplugging the HomePod does not break the AirPlay default control button setting.

That points to the IOS system.

*The only option to regain the volume control back is a restart of the IPhone*

The Phones running 14.3

HomePod 14.3

Jan 31, 2021 5:23 PM in response to DonGuillermo

Same problem here. iPhone 11 Pro Max. If I use my phone to control HomePod Mini, the volume buttons are hijacked by the HomePod and no matter what I do I cant make them control iPhone volume unless I restart my iPhone. Tried playing with settings, control volume and ring with buttons, on and off, nothing. Tried cancelling airplay, turned iPhone to Airplane Mode, disconnected wifi, bluetooth. Nothing. I've already left a bug feedback on Apple's feedback page. I would recommend more people leave feedback on this bug so we can get Apple's attention to fix it: https://www.apple.com/feedback/homepod.html

Jan 18, 2021 8:26 AM in response to DonGuillermo

I have this problem too. This problem will happen randomly.

Here is my scenario. I am using the iPhone music app and play the music via Airplay to my Homepod mini. In the music app, the volume key is controlling the Homepod volume. When I exit the music app, the volume key will back to controlling the iPhone volume.

If this bug is happening, I can control the volume through the volume key on Airplay menu only.

Restart the phone and the volume key will become normal again.

iPhone 12 Pro Max - ios14.3

Homepod - ios14.3

Jan 25, 2021 9:59 AM in response to DonGuillermo

I am also having this same issue. I played something from netflix on my appleTV to my homepod, and used the apple remote on my phone to control this.

Ever since I've done that, the volume buttons on my phone only control the volume on my homepod, even if nothing is playing on the homepod. It is also like this if I have a video on my phone - the sound will come out of my phone, nothing on homepod, and volume will not control the sound on my phone. Works like this with phone calls as well.

Anyone have a fix?

Jan 27, 2021 11:50 PM in response to DonGuillermo

I am also facing the same issue. I have iPhone 12 Pro and HomePod but once you connect to HomePod the volume button stops working for iPhone ringing and media. I went to service centre the have the HomePod and iPhone hard reset but still the problem persist. It's so frustrating you spend you much on the ecosystem to have the smooth experience but you are stuck restarting your phone every time you connect through HomePod. Apple please provide the solution for this.

Majorly it happens when you play music on your HomePod with some other third party app through airplay. I tried going to the media and TV control and select iPhone for the volume but it won't happen. I want to understand here if the problem is in HomePod or in my iPhone 12 Pro. Can someone guide me through this? where I need to focus my attention on iPhone or HomePod?

Jan 28, 2021 12:24 AM in response to smc2477

Hey smc2477 I did went to service center they hard reset the hompod and my iphone then connected it again. I want to clarify one thing when I connected the iphone again I logged in the Icloud then homepod connected directly does that mean then homepod was not reset properly?

Do need to restore it without taking the backup? because I already took the backup before restarting the phone and on restarting resorted it. How can I be sure that my homepod is totally hard reset and link it back like a new Homepod. Also are your sure it is not an iphone hardware issue because I already submitted the phone again for service and It will take around 5 days for me to get it back.

Also please answer how did you hard reset the homepod correctly because when I tried it. It got stuck in configuring and I had to take it service center.

Thanks.

Jan 28, 2021 12:27 AM in response to Deepesh_Bhardwaj

I did it all on the phone with an Apple support worker. I completely removed the HomePods from the ecosystem by going into the home app and then into the HomePod and settings at the bottom there is remove HomePod.

the worker did do a complete diagnostic of my iPhone and there were no hardware issues as far as they could tell. To be honest the iPhone 12 Pro is the buggiest iPhone I’ve ever had.

Feb 1, 2021 8:17 AM in response to eric313

Hello guys! You want to hear something funny here it is after taking it to apple service center they sent it to the main service center and after waiting for 5 days I got my phone back. Apple stupid service huys wrote that there is no issue with phone. They just restarted it and checked and sent it back writing that the device has no problem. Now I come to room tried checking it again and within 1 hour it is back to that state. They even didn't checked it properly.

I am regretting buying a so costly phone and on top of that buying a homepod.

Feb 3, 2021 12:04 AM in response to DonGuillermo

I had exactly the same problem.

After several HomePod resets without success, I tried something else and it fixed the issue !!

But you need to have an iPad...

I deleted HomePod from iPhone and connected and initialized it with my iPad.

That way to implement HomePod in « Apple ecosystem » does not block the volume buttons on iPhone, but you won’t be able to change the HomePod volume with them, only with control center.

So it’s not perfect but so much better to keep volume buttons operating on your iPhone !!

Sorry for my English, I’m French 😜.

Hope this will help some of you guys !

Iphone 12 volume buttons not functionning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.