Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to take a small edit from a final cut backup but I want to keep the current version of final cut?

I have the library and files on one hard drive that I work off of and I keep a backup of the files on another hard drive (but not the project) and the final cut auto saved backups are on my computer. If I open one of the backups projects from my computer with only my hard drive that has the backup files but not the actual project, then will the project on my main hard drive still be the fully updated project? I just don't want to delete anything from my current project.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 11:23 AM

The FCP backups are completely separate databases. If you open a backup you're working in a new library. None of the changes made there will appear in the original library.

You need to store your cache on the media drive outside the library bundle.

7 replies

Dec 4, 2020 11:11 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi, sorry about not being more clear. The library itself is 670gb as you can see in the picture. I'm not sure why it's copying the original media to the library when I selected the original folder name (Mintz dental) under "Media". So I really need to somehow make my library smaller.

I backed up all the original media onto a separate hard drive. As I don't always have that hard drive (one I mentioned in last sentence) plugged in and I want final cut to auto save the project backups somewhere (other than being backed up onto the main hard drive where the main project is), I have final cut save the backup projects onto my actual computer.

Happens to be I'm editing a lot of Multicam where I also have a lot of render files.

I want to know if I open up the backup library that was auto saved (from my actual computer) and then relink the files (media) from my backup hard drive, then will I be able to close the library afterwards and then open my main (not backup) library from my main hard drive and have it be the same way I left it before (meaning not automatically reverting back to the older library permanently)

Dec 4, 2020 9:11 AM in response to szk613

(but not the project) What's this mean in this context? You mean you backup the media but not the library? The library should be fairly small unless you're making a lot of optimized media and render files.

The backup libraries on the computer are separate databases from the original library. I'm not certain what you're asking because you seem to use project and library interchangeably, or do you mean something else. Could you clarify?

Dec 4, 2020 11:30 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Ok thanks so much for all your help. I don't want to have the media copied twice though (in actual folder of media and also inside of the package contents of library). So how can I have it work where it completely uses the original media and doesn't copy it to the actual library? And also now where its already copied to the library, how can I fix it?

I want to take a small edit from a final cut backup but I want to keep the current version of final cut?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.