Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it necessary to keep the auto-generated folders called, "Final Cut Backups"?

I always make two to three manual backups of my Final Cut project files, but I notice that there is an auto-generated folder called, "Final Cut Backups" and am wondering whether it would be okay to delete that. If I ever were to attempt to go back into a past project to re-edit it, would the drag-and-drop copies I made allow me to do so? What, if anything, do I sacrifice by deleting the auto-generated backups folders?

Thank you!

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 8:13 AM

Could you explain how you are backing up the libraries? Can't tell otherwise if it's worthwhile keeping the auto generated backups. You don't need to keep a huge number of the backups. It's a good idea to dump some after a while as they do build it. You can switch off backups if you want in the library inspector.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 8:13 AM in response to Womanhattan

Could you explain how you are backing up the libraries? Can't tell otherwise if it's worthwhile keeping the auto generated backups. You don't need to keep a huge number of the backups. It's a good idea to dump some after a while as they do build it. You can switch off backups if you want in the library inspector.

Feb 9, 2022 9:31 AM in response to Womanhattan

It's always a good idea to have backups and I commend you for manually making copies on another drive, but the best backups are the ones that happen automatically so you don't have a chance to forget to do it. I would recommend letting FCP continue to do automatic backups in addition to your periodic manual backups. The automatic backups are very small since they contain no media, only the library database. When the Final Cut Backups folder gets larger than you want, you can always go in and delete old backups.

Feb 9, 2022 10:24 AM in response to terryb

I so appreciate your replies, but I should have been more focused in my question: is there any information in the auto-generated Final Cut Backups files that would not be present in a complete and healthy copy which I had dragged to an external HD? (I drag the purple squarish icon from the Movies folder in my user account.)

Thank you!!!

Is it necessary to keep the auto-generated folders called, "Final Cut Backups"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.