Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Keyboard problem

After updating to OS 10.5.7, none of my keyboards (wired & wireless) responds properly, actually, there are 2 problems:

1) I used to be able to get a lower = on-line {"} by typing OPT + SHIFT + w = no more

2) trying to paste a character from character viewer (PopChar), I only get the latest item that I’ve copied

Did I inadvertently re-set something? Could anyone point me in a direction to get back to the earlier setup?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 5:09 AM

Lynkaeus wrote: Neither setting will produce the desired keystroke

But both layouts do have the various quote marks someplace.

If you have ABC Extended showing at the top right of the screen, the the lower double quote is option shift comma („) and the upper double quote is option [ (“).

If you have the US (American flag) showing at the top right of the screen, the lower double quote is option shift w („) and the upper double quote is option [ (“).

If those are not exactly what you need, you can use Keyboard Viewer to find them

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-the-keyboard-viewer-on-mac-mchlp1015/11.0/mac/11.0

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 5:09 AM in response to Lynkaeus

Lynkaeus wrote: Neither setting will produce the desired keystroke

But both layouts do have the various quote marks someplace.

If you have ABC Extended showing at the top right of the screen, the the lower double quote is option shift comma („) and the upper double quote is option [ (“).

If you have the US (American flag) showing at the top right of the screen, the lower double quote is option shift w („) and the upper double quote is option [ (“).

If those are not exactly what you need, you can use Keyboard Viewer to find them

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-the-keyboard-viewer-on-mac-mchlp1015/11.0/mac/11.0

Dec 4, 2020 1:17 PM in response to Lynkaeus

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading

Note: This may prevent PopChar from operating as it should so just reboot and test again

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Dec 4, 2020 3:27 PM in response to Lynkaeus

Lynkaeus wrote:

1) I used to be able to get a lower = on-line {"} by typing OPT + SHIFT + w = no more

Go to system preferences > keyboard > input sources and tell us what you have on the list. "US" should produce „ double low 9 quote (U+201e). Some other input source will produce something else.

Popchar is not from Apple, so you need to contact the people who make it. Perhaps use Character Viewer instead:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-emoji-and-symbols-on-mac-mchlp1560/11.0/mac/11.0

Dec 5, 2020 8:11 AM in response to Lynkaeus

Lynkaeus wrote:

Update: on U.S. keyboard setting, Option-Shift <w> still gives this < ̇>

I think that somehow you are not actually using US then, but ABC Extended instead. For US to be active you must see the American flag at the top right of the screen.

The character you show above is U+0307, combining dot above, which is produced by ABC Extended with option shift w.

iMac Keyboard problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.