Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple M1 Printer Driver My Canon Now Works! Driver for 1300 different printers....

My older USB Canon printer now functions (not the CD tray at this stage).

Download free driver Gutenprint for Mac (latest version is for Mojave but installs Big Sur M1).

I found the dmg at SourceForge website.

Add printer and select Gutenprint driver at the last drop down box.

Hope this works for you also! Cheers, Rob.

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 1:14 PM

24 replies

Dec 5, 2020 7:53 PM in response to roberto_au

Thank you!

I am getting just getting 'Error' (no other message) with the yellow circle in the Printer & Scanners. I can't even open the Print Queue.

I tried restarting, uninstalling, reinstalling, even downloading the 5.2.15 version of Gutenprint, but it just turns into 'Error' when I try to print.

Let me know if there is anything other information I should provide....

Jan 25, 2021 12:01 AM in response to roberto_au

I was able to print on Canon G2000 from Big Sur from Apple M1 notebook computer. I downloaded and installed the following :

Dec 5, 2020 8:46 PM in response to pinklemonbar

:0(

Let's modify the printer using CUPS on the webpage instead of Printers & Scanners.

Hoping it's not too technical.

Enter the localhost in Safari, up the top click Administration. Under Printers click Manage Printers.

Under Queue Name will be a list of all current attached printers. Select the printer giving you issues.

Under the Administration tab, select "Modify Printer".

Make SURE the "USB" is highlighted only. Click continue.

Next screen:

The only tab I changed here when I did it was the location to state Mac mini. Click continue.

Next screen:

Make sue you select the driver that states BOTH "Canon .... & Gutenprint ..." NOT Gutenprint on it's own - make sense?

Click continue:

NOTE: The refresh takes about 6 - 10 seconds, don't navigate away! You should have the printer and the following wording "(Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared)"...

Dec 5, 2020 8:07 PM in response to pinklemonbar

Hi, let's start from scratch.

Hover over the list of Printers in Printers & Scanners and right click, select "Reset printing system".

Then add again only the Gutenprint printer.

THEN

Launch Safari, enter this in the address bar:

http://localhost:631/

You will get a message that states CUPS not active and use the command ...

Copy the command on the safari page without quotes and enter into Terminal. Press enter.

Refresh the safari page, it will ask for a Username and password. THIS IS THE SAME as entering your computer ie:

Roberto

Password

Tell me if it makes any difference, then we'll continue! :0)

Dec 6, 2020 5:35 PM in response to roberto_au

Hey! Sorry to hear that...

Thanks for following up.

I just got around to trying to reduce the security. No luck with the printer :(

All good though, I have an old Windows laptop that I can print to so I still won't be replacing my printer just yet. Maybe the driver will eventually work with newer updates (I hope. Doesn't seem like the Canon MP line is going to support Big Sur)

I really appreciate all your assistance with troubleshooting...

Have a great rest of your day! :)

Apple M1 Printer Driver My Canon Now Works! Driver for 1300 different printers....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.