Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Big Sur photos app not showing places on map

Hi

In the macOS Big Sur photos application I have thousands of GPS tagged photos. If I select a photo in the library or a Day or Month I can click on the 3 dots and select show map and the photos will be correctly displayed at their map location. However if select places from the list on the left of the application window all I see is an empty map. In the previous photos application I used to be able to photos all across this map. What am I doing wrong?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 4:08 PM

4 replies

Dec 6, 2020 6:36 AM in response to Green Sensei

Referenced photos have not ben well supported in Photos since it came out and has become worse since macOS 10.15.

Consider to move the complete Photos Library to your external volume (Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support) and to consolidate the referenced photos into the library. I have not much hope that this bug and other issues with referenced photos will get fixed soon. It is risky to work with referenced photos.

Dec 15, 2020 8:02 AM in response to léonie

My library is already on an external hard drive and my Photos library file is 212GB. 72000 photos and 6000 movies from all my iPhone models. Moving these again does not feel good at all as they are already located externally, because the map function will not be affected depending on where the Photos library file is located somewhere? Am I right?

#bigsur #photos #places #nophotos

macOS Big Sur photos app not showing places on map

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.