Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari quits itself, error message:"Your system has run out of application memory"

As subject, the issue persists after I upgraded to macOS Big Sur.

Safari forced itself to quit after using it for a while, and a message popped out stating:"Your system has run out of application memory"

My MacBook pro has 8G memory and I only have several applications like Mail/Calculator/News open, this does not make sense.

How could I fix this?

Thanks.

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 7:59 PM

Thanks for your info.

Yes, the Safari suddenly quit and closed by itself didn’t give me an option.

It’s a pretty new laptop with 512G storage.

I checked activity monitor and Safari is using 6.8G of memory I’m now trying to delete the extension to see if this can be resolved.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 7:59 PM in response to Halliday

Thanks for your info.

Yes, the Safari suddenly quit and closed by itself didn’t give me an option.

It’s a pretty new laptop with 512G storage.

I checked activity monitor and Safari is using 6.8G of memory I’m now trying to delete the extension to see if this can be resolved.

Dec 6, 2020 6:34 PM in response to sh9001

Welcome, sh9001, to Apple Support Communities!

I’ve seen a seemingly similar issue on another Discussion: NEW MacBook Air M1 8gb 256gb: "your … - Apple Community.

The principle difference is that there, Safari doesn’t suddenly quit (terminate), but they get a dialogue box informing them that their application memory is running low, and having them chose an App to Terminate.

While there does appear to be a problem that occurs when Safari uses significant amounts of memory, you appear to be experiencing an additional issue with Safari quitting (terminating) without giving you the option of what application to Force Quit.

Safari quits itself, error message:"Your system has run out of application memory"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.