Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm using a pretty new IMac computer (running macOS Big Sur) Question: In IMovie how can I increase the volume for just a short segment of a music video that I'm making?

I'm using a pretty new IMac computer (running macOS Big Sur) Question: In IMovie how can I increase the volume for just a short segment of a music video that I'm making?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 8:26 AM

Hi, valtaro,

To lower the volume of a segment, place your cursor on the clip and, and while holding down the r key, press-drag over the region where you want to lower the volume. As you drag, a yellow box will appear outlining the region you chose. After you have outlined the region place your cursor on the horizontal volume line and pull it down to lower the volume in the box. You can also slide the little yellow diamond markers around to vary the sound.

Another way to lower the volume of only a segment is to place your cursor on the horizontal volume line until it morphs into a 4-way cursor and, while holding down the Option key, click on the horizontal volume line to place yellow diamond markers side by side at the start or the segment, and do the same at the end of the segment. Then pull down the horizontal volume line between the two sets of markers to lower the volume between the in and out points.

-- Ric

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 8:26 AM in response to valtaro musette

Hi, valtaro,

To lower the volume of a segment, place your cursor on the clip and, and while holding down the r key, press-drag over the region where you want to lower the volume. As you drag, a yellow box will appear outlining the region you chose. After you have outlined the region place your cursor on the horizontal volume line and pull it down to lower the volume in the box. You can also slide the little yellow diamond markers around to vary the sound.

Another way to lower the volume of only a segment is to place your cursor on the horizontal volume line until it morphs into a 4-way cursor and, while holding down the Option key, click on the horizontal volume line to place yellow diamond markers side by side at the start or the segment, and do the same at the end of the segment. Then pull down the horizontal volume line between the two sets of markers to lower the volume between the in and out points.

-- Ric

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.