Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2015 OS Mojave Stutter and Freeze

Hi, I have my MB Pro 2015 with OS Mojave, I encountered this problem this last 2 days

I was watching Netflix with Friendly Streaming App on my Macbook Display and using Adobe Illustrator on my 2nd Display (a tablet display Huion Kamvas 13) when suddenly Netflix audio stutter and my macbook freeze

Touchpad didn't work at all, the only way to troubleshoot is to do hard turn off by pressing the power button. This had happen twice.

Updating to higher OS might not be an option as I also encounter problem with my Huion Tablet Driver last time I update to Catalina.

Any Idea what I should do to stop this problem from coming back in the future? Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 8:34 PM

Update:

I seem to have solved the freezing problem but I'm not sure what did I do exactly to have solved that

several things I try:

1. Update the Huion driver
  2. Repair disk (First aid on the utility app)
  3. Install updates from mac (the one that usually prompts us to restart the macbook)
  4. Reset SMC
  5. Reset NVRAM (or PRAM)

For people facing similar problems as mine can also do some suggested solution below.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 8:34 PM in response to San_21

Update:

I seem to have solved the freezing problem but I'm not sure what did I do exactly to have solved that

several things I try:

1. Update the Huion driver
  2. Repair disk (First aid on the utility app)
  3. Install updates from mac (the one that usually prompts us to restart the macbook)
  4. Reset SMC
  5. Reset NVRAM (or PRAM)

For people facing similar problems as mine can also do some suggested solution below.

Dec 9, 2020 9:36 AM in response to San_21

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Did this happen after the 2020-005 or 2020-006 SecUpd for Mojave?

Try reinstalling this in Safe Mode, but not using Firefox...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup).

Seems to fix about 90% of the problems.

Dec 10, 2020 8:58 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi, today my mac freeze again. The problem itself happened randomly on normal mode, occured when I use adobe product AND playing a video.

Tried safe booting it. But I can't continue what I was doing on safe boot because it lags/glitch so much, soo I can not confirm if the problem still occur or not even in safe boot. Photo above: the glitch in safe boot

(I uninstalled Friendly Streaming and play video on chrome today, but it still freeze, so the problem is not with the 3rd party app)

My mojave is already 10.14.6 but I still follow your advice and try downloading the 2020-006 security update but I can't install it. I forgot what the error prompt said. Then I search online about it and try downloading the Mojave Combo Update, but still can't be installed. The error said that my macbook is APFS formatted...

do i really have to format my mac to apfs to update the mojave?

oh also, I try updating my tablet driver today, hope it solve the problem but let's see

Dec 16, 2020 8:28 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi, I seem to have solve the freezing problem although I'm not sure what is the specific solution that I did.

But I'm interested in this macs fan control, here I attached the fan control info, seems that my Mac's rpm is in the safe range as it falls between the min and max rpm. But I don't really understand the GPU temp value? Thank you for the recs!

Dec 10, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Ptaxey

Hi, I did the first aid check on normal mode and there's nothing wrong with my disk.

Did it again in safe boot and suddenly there's an error in the disk. The prompt said that it should be repaired on recovery mode and so I did. Now, the disk is already repaired. Let's hope it solve the problem..

There's advice to use activity monitor to kill unused application in the recommendation link you shared. My friend also said the same freeze happen to him when his mac is already too hot, I figure that it might be something to do with RAM? My other friend said I should try free up my disk space with some utility app. Might be helpful to prevent the freeze in the future. Will definitely try advices on your link. Thank you for your recommendations!

Dec 10, 2020 10:08 AM in response to San_21

Don't doMojave yet.

On the freezing...

Have you blown the dust out of the intakes lately?

What temperatures does this App report? Especially the GPU.

This App can be used to speed up the fans, all my iMacs would be dead without it.

Never ever ever drop fan speeds below the speed that the Mac itself is calling for.

MacFansControl…

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

Macbook Pro 2015 OS Mojave Stutter and Freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.