Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

password reset for encrypted backup password is not working.

I was unable to update my iphone because of an "unexpected error." I was forced to restore to factory settings. Previous to this I backed up my phone to my laptop, not realizing the password encryption was on. I cannot restore my phone from backup because I obviously don't know the password, and when I do the steps to reset/erase the encrypted password it's still asking for a password for the backup.

This is ridiculous and have to start from scratch all over with all data and information lost.

Thanks Apple. I'll be moving along from your terrible product.

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 1:43 PM

can you clarify to what you are referencing?

here is an Apple support document regarding the topic..

About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

if this is what you are referring to, sure.. you can reset the encryption password for future backups, but you cannot reset the password for an existing backup. And it sounds like you are trying restore using an existing backup.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2020 1:43 PM in response to dehsar

can you clarify to what you are referencing?

here is an Apple support document regarding the topic..

About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

if this is what you are referring to, sure.. you can reset the encryption password for future backups, but you cannot reset the password for an existing backup. And it sounds like you are trying restore using an existing backup.

Dec 11, 2020 6:33 PM in response to dehsar

Not according to their own forum of how to rest the encrypted password for a backup.

This is for making new backups, not for accessing a previously encrypted backup.

From the article you referenced.

So move along with your useless answer.

It was an absolutely correct answer and the words you are looking for are 'thanks" for setting me straight on how encrypted backups work.

Dec 11, 2020 1:28 PM in response to dehsar

dehsar wrote:

I cannot restore my phone from backup because I obviously don't know the password, and when I do the steps to reset/erase the encrypted password it's still asking for a password for the backup.

You 'obviously' don't know the password? You set this password.. It's the only way to enable the encrypted backup

As far as I know, you get unlimited attempts at entering this password.

You could go thru some of your commonly used passwords or password combinations?

password reset for encrypted backup password is not working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.