Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Downloads and No Download button

I have a number of songs and albums that I have either purchased from the iTunes store or imported from a CD I bought that are showing as missing. When I try to locate them on my computer, they are not there. And some iTunes purchases that I can find in my Purchases list on my account do not show the download button, which to me says it should be on my computer (and I'm annpyed that I can't even try to re-download it). Can anyone help me figure out where all my music disappeared to?

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 7:18 PM

See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support and Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support. Note that while you can generally redownload purchases made since 2009 this relies on the content remaining in the store. Rights holders can and do remove content from the store from time to time, e.g. when distribution rights are transferred between companies.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 7:18 PM in response to Jaxycat

See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support and Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support. Note that while you can generally redownload purchases made since 2009 this relies on the content remaining in the store. Rights holders can and do remove content from the store from time to time, e.g. when distribution rights are transferred between companies.

tt2

Dec 19, 2020 7:31 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2,

I had the same issue with some of my songs and got the same answer from the support about "unhiding" the music. The music I tried to re-download is no longer available on iTunes (removed by the label). But I bought it back in the day, i.e. paid money to OWN it, not just to stream it. Then Apple moved all my purchases to iCloud and deleted it there. So in theory I should be able to have access to something I once purchased, but in practice they kinda took the money and ran. Also, why even buy anything on iTunes store, if it's never really yours?

Tseppa

Dec 19, 2020 8:39 AM in response to Tseppa2020

When you bought the item you should have downloaded it, and then made a backup. If you had done so then you would still have a copy. When you buy a physical CD, DVD, vinyl, cassette, etc. you don't expect any of those to be replaced should you lose or damage them. Digital media potentially comes with similar limitations. Your copy that you downloaded would have continued to work. Any DRM limited item will continue to work as long as there is hardware that can play it and the DRM service survives. Pity anyone locked into WMA protected audio which can no longer be authorised. Apple stopped adding DRM to music in 2009, video content still has it, and I suspect Apple will outlive us, but it isn't as easy to pass on your digital collection as it would be a physical one. Like anything, you compare the costs and benefits and make a decision. Shop wherever works best for you.

tt2

Missing Downloads and No Download button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.