Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Macbook Air speaker volume way too low

I just bought 2 units of the latest Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Air, and the speaker volume on both of them are way too low compared to previous generations MacBooks.

The speakers have to be cranked to the 75% mark to produce what would be normal audible volume. Any lower and the audio is unusable. When outdoor with gentle breeze and pedestrian passing by, even 100% is barely audible (you can hear sound but not audible/clear enough to make out the lyrics). Previous generation MacBooks only need 40-50% to reproduce the same volume.

Is anyone having the same issue, and if so, have you found any solution please?

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 9:49 PM

17 replies

Jan 20, 2021 1:06 PM in response to edmund_sg

Thanks for sharing!

I am having exactly the same issue. The M1 MacBook Pro speakers are very quiet, sound muffled, really bad. -disgraceful how bad they sound compared to my 2019 intel MacBook Pro.

I have attached an Apple forum link to another larger discussion with people who are reporting the same problem. There is also a Apple product feedback link at the bottom too, which you can fill in about the terrible speaker output quality and hopefully they'll look into it. I can't wait until they fix it. Hopefully it is a software issue as opposed to incapable hardware :(

Hope this helps :)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252099536

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Dec 16, 2020 10:59 AM in response to edmund_sg

I'm totally excited about the new MacBook Air with an M1 processor. I adore it, and it worth the special attention of any mac lover. However, it has only one flaw. And yes, I'm talking about the speakers. My old MacBook 12" which didn't even have a "real" processor obtained expressive sound. I have been listening it without any external speakers for years before its SSD died.

I suppose that Apple might improve sound quality programmatically. And our primary goal is to point their attention towards this issue.

One more issue I'd like to report as well. I can't remove control of the volume of the external audio device. I have double volume thereby. Everyone who uses Apple devices professionally connects the external sound card to them. In my case, I'm talking about external DAC. I want to allow the device to use its volume exclusively. And I want that this feature was supported natively.

Dec 23, 2020 8:14 AM in response to Musti_3521

Same here -- volume is far too low on the 2020 M1 MBP. I spent a couple hours on the phone with Apple Support; gave them remote access, etc. They could not fix the issue and reportedly keeps the ticket open. I only have another 1.5 weeks to return, so I think I'll return it in the next few days. The volume output is unacceptably too low -- and as others have reported -- much lower than all previous MacBooks, MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros. In fact, I have a 12" MacBook that is twice as loud (which, I believe, only has one speaker).

Dec 23, 2020 8:15 AM in response to edmund_sg

Same here -- volume is far too low on the 2020 M1 MBP. I spent a couple hours on the phone with Apple Support; gave them remote access, etc. They could not fix the issue and reportedly keeps the ticket open. I only have another 1.5 weeks to return, so I think I'll return it in the next few days. The volume output is unacceptably too low -- and as others have reported -- much lower than all previous MacBooks, MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros. In fact, I have a 12" MacBook that is twice as loud (which, I believe, only has one speaker).

M1 Macbook Air speaker volume way too low

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.