Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sorting email in Big Sur

Since upgrading to Big Sur, I can no longer sort emails by sender in "All Inboxes" or sent emails in "All Sent". I have read how to set up a Favorite folder but that is not always a good option. I currently have numerous Smart and Custom Mailboxes but I receive mail that I do not want to deal will as it comes in. Periodically, I sort all mail in my "Inbox" (2012 IOS through Catalina) and would delete large groups of email. This feature is no longer available in Big Sur and it is a very useful. I called Apple to review and the Tech could not tell me how to perform this task in Big Sur. I was told that I could reload Catalina. I have a better idea. Why doesn't Apple add the sort features that were available in Catalina back into Big Sur. One could sort the following in their "Inbox" and "Sent" in Catalina: Attachments, Date, Flags, From, Size, Subject, To and Unread. Is there anyone else missing this feature?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 7:01 AM

BtownDoug... I'm so sorry... the sort menu option is under the View menu... so VIEW --> SORT BY .... Other than that, as I said before. Also, please note that in the Help menu you can always type a command, and it will show where that command is on the menus (if it's a menu based command.) That can be useful if you're trying to find something!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2021 7:01 AM in response to BtownDoug

BtownDoug... I'm so sorry... the sort menu option is under the View menu... so VIEW --> SORT BY .... Other than that, as I said before. Also, please note that in the Help menu you can always type a command, and it will show where that command is on the menus (if it's a menu based command.) That can be useful if you're trying to find something!

Jan 19, 2021 8:28 AM in response to BtownDoug

I also was missing that little menu to sort. It turns out the sort feature is on the Edit menu, and works as before.. just not quite as convenient. I also discovered a really nice feature in Big Sur... in View you can show the Tab bar, and then you can set up tabs with different views of the same mailbox, or of other mailboxes, each with their own sort order.

Jan 22, 2021 6:48 AM in response to william184

I am not sure that I explain my issue very well. I did not find anything in the edit memo like previous version. There was a drop down menu in the top left corner of the mailbox selected. It stated Sort by and had the following options: Attachments, Date, Flags, From, Size, Subject, To, Unread, Oldest Message on Top and Newest Message on Top. When I click on Edit, as recommended, most commands are greyed out. The only options on the Edit menu are as follows: Delete, Select All, Attachments, Find, Spelling and Grammar, Substitution, Transformation, Speech and Emoji and Symbols. I do not see a Sort option. Please clarify what I am doing wrong. Thank you, Doug

Feb 23, 2021 8:26 PM in response to william184

Hopefully Apple engineers read these posts - they took useful functionality and created a mess where the work around is not nearly as good, and take way more key strokes ... they are starting to think like Microsoft - make things new and complex rather that as simple as can be, but not simpler. I'm really disappointed in Big Sur.

Sorting email in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.