Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Legacy System Extension - Prolific Technology Inc

Hello,

I have a Mid-2014 MBP running macOS Catalina.

As we know, Legacy kernels are being unsupported in Big Sur and beyond. So I get this message:

But I have no clue what app have is from this company, and when I searched about it, it looks like it's some driver for i/o or something. I'm not able to find the .kext to get rid of it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 6:57 PM

Is this it?

Its pathname is highlighted. If you are not using it then navigate to that location and drag it to the Trash. If you are using it "Loaded" would probably indicate "Yes" and the Finder will complain.

As you can see that version is very old and not signed, but signing or not becomes moot with Big Sur anyway.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2020 6:57 PM in response to jacksunders

Is this it?

Its pathname is highlighted. If you are not using it then navigate to that location and drag it to the Trash. If you are using it "Loaded" would probably indicate "Yes" and the Finder will complain.

As you can see that version is very old and not signed, but signing or not becomes moot with Big Sur anyway.

Dec 15, 2020 7:27 AM in response to jacksunders

I suggest you do nothing. As you wrote the .kext file will not even load in Big Sur. If and when you upgrade the message will cease to appear.

Are you using any USB to serial converters? The Prolific driver is used for a number of them from a variety of manufacturers, and perhaps other products.

If you still want to track down and remove the .kext please write back for suggestions, but my primary suggestion is to do nothing.

Legacy System Extension - Prolific Technology Inc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.