Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder asking permission for everything

i recently got a new macbook pro, and whenever i try to move files to different folders or even complete simple tasks, finder asks for my admin password. is there a way to turn this off? it's frustrating not being able to do much without needing to type in the password.

the files that i am trying to move are not locked under the general info section. often, the option to lock them is greyed out, but they are not checked either way.

every solution to this issue i've found has linked to a page that "can't be found." i'm using the newest macbook pro, m1 2020 ver 11.0. i'm not a computer person so simple instructions would be preferred :) thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 9:26 PM

Where are the files located that you are moving?

Where is the destination for the files?

If all the files are located in your own home user folder, then you have a permissions issue. You can change the permissions of all files in your home user folder to match that of your user account by using this article:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-permissions-for-files-folders-or-disks-mchlp1203/mac

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 9:26 PM in response to rae310

Where are the files located that you are moving?

Where is the destination for the files?

If all the files are located in your own home user folder, then you have a permissions issue. You can change the permissions of all files in your home user folder to match that of your user account by using this article:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/change-permissions-for-files-folders-or-disks-mchlp1203/mac

finder asking permission for everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.